Sorry, kids. Yesterday’s class emptied my tank. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Sorry, kids. Yesterday’s class emptied my tank.

>

mooba1

Sorry, kids. Yesterday’s class emptied my tank.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Vent-y post warning. I just need to get this off my chest. Yesterday’s class got on my last nerve and danced on it all day. There were three students who repeatedly disrupted the entire class, and they are well-known throughout the grade level (elementary).

In this classroom, students have individual color charts on their desks, rather than a communal class chart where the students each have a numbered clothespin to “clip up” or “clip down”. Several of the individual charts were nowhere to be found, and one student had run out of copies of his behavior plan. He tried to explain to me how it worked, but without anything concrete to go on, I was flying by the seat of my pants. It was a real balancing act between not giving the ding-dongs all the attention and focusing on the kids who wanted to learn.

I get it. This class would wear anyone down to the nub after a few weeks, but only half-heartedly enforcing the discipline plan makes things so much harder than they have to be. I tried to reward the good behaviors through praise and “clipping up”, but as I said, several of the individual charts were AWOL. It was evident that the students were rather unmotivated by “clipping up”, when normally they take great pride in doing so.

Riding herd on the nutballs all day yesterday and keeping them in line wore me out. Today’s class was much more well-behaved, but I just didn’t have my usual inner calm when dealing with the elementary age drama.

Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day parties, and I have a sweet class that I’m looking forward to seeing. They’ll be my reward for yesterday and today.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 02-14-2018, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Mooba 1

I feel your pain!!! So glad I'm retired and doing day to day subbing. All it takes is a couple of kids like that to suck you dry and makes it almost impossible to pay attention to the other students.
So glad you had a better day yesterday and are enjoying today
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 02-14-2018, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you, elepen. Had a great day today with a sweet class, and got lots of hugs that refilled my bucket. . I’m recharged and ready to finish out the week.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 02-14-2018, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Gosh, it happens, I am glad you had a better day today.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote