Help

Substitute Teachers

Subbing and taking meds

>

lovetosub

Subbing and taking meds
Old 02-14-2018, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am on medication that requires me to take four pills an hour before lunch. How do you manage something like that when subbing? As a regular teacher, you would know when it is convenient. But as a Sub, I find it difficult to gage when this can be easily accomplished. I, like most of us, are wildly concerned about the spread of illnesses. We lose a day, we lose pay. So I'm always aware of washing my hands before putting something in my mouth. I've been using wipes or sanitizer to clean my hands before taking my meds, but I feel like that just adds to the process. I'm trying to avoid students noticing. They either ask questions or use it to rib me. I don't care about that, but as a Sub, I could do without the distraction.

Suggestions?

lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 02-14-2018, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used to take Advil, sometimes 3 or 4 at a time. I'd just have them ready in my hand, pop them all in my mouth, and take a swig of water. I'd do it somewhere in the room where the attention wasn't on me. You probably already have the pills grouped together but I guess it would depend on if you swallow one at a time or more. Also, are you in elem. or older? If older then I assume it wouldn't be a problem because you could do it between classes??

If you're in elementary I'm surprised they would notice unless it's in the middle of a lesson.

Have you explained that you have a med you have to take every hour? That may put an end to the comments after the first time.

I've also been washing my hands a lot lately; none of us wants to get sick!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Just take them
Old 02-14-2018, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As a classroom teacher and now as a sub, I've had to take meds in class over the years. If it's a regular thing, I let them know what's up. Otherwise, I just take the meds discreetly if possible. Heck, today I had to eat my lunch during class, as I subbed for an 8th grade teacher until 11:30. Their lunch began then. THEN I moved to 6th grade. They'd already had lunch. I pulled out my yogurt and apple and explained the situation. I taught the lesson, then ate as I walked around the room assisting students.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-14-2018, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My kids used to remind me to take my medicine before lunch.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote