Help

Substitute Teachers

School entry questions

>

sila

School entry questions
Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The shooting incident in school reminded me of another incident .
Our doors were locked .
Only one office entry .one man was showing signs through window to open back door of my class .
Middle schoolers knows him well as they told me he is volunteer .Many of them urge me to open too.
Still I did not take any chance .
I went and called neighbor teacher .
She came and verified before opening .

I heard him apologizing saying he is late for an event and no time to go through front door as it is long walk ..
But it seems to be very unacceptable for me .
The school has a policy to let subs or any person sign every time with a driver license .
Then how come one person get entry through back door even though he is familiar face ?

sila is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 02-19-2018, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Rather than asking a teacher to verify, you should have told him (through the door) that he’d have to walk around and sign in through the office. Saying he was late and didn’t have time to do so is not an acceptable excuse.

The teacher who allowed the man to come in set a terrible example for the kids, in a case of “Do as I say, don’t do as I do”. Of course the kids are going to say let the man in, as they know him well and do not view him as a threat.

Sounds like this isn’t the first time the staff has set aside protocol in favor of taking shortcuts. Makes you wonder if the P is aware of this and allowing it to go on, or if P has no idea this is happening.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

hate to do this but
Old 02-19-2018, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If there's no blinds through those windows, I would install them or use posters and student work to block windows. I'm a huge fan of natural light but in cases like this, safety 1st. I hate that we're becoming more and more hyperprotective and paranoid?
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 02-19-2018, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I completely agree with mooba1. The other thing that drives me nuts in this day and age is to let little kids be the “door monitor” who answers the door when someone knocks. I know it is a pain to stop to answer the door, but with the events of late, really? I work in many schools where anyone can walk on campus at any time.
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

sila

Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for all suggestions .
These days ,first thing I do in any class is to go through safety precautions in detail .
Before going through lesson plans .

sila is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Two things to add...
Old 02-20-2018, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One, shame on the volunteer for not following protocol and the rules. In addition to subbing, I also volunteer a lot. The kids think it's wrong that I'm wearing a visitor badge.

Two, I once had a close call because I was not advised that a teacher who was "on leave of absence" was actually not allowed to have contact with the kids pending an investigation.

It's particularly interesting in our small rural school where everyone knows everyone. I tend to use the "we have to follow the rules ourselves if we want the kids to" approach to any doubtful situation.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Nope. No way
Old 02-20-2018, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I was teaching at the middle school full time, we had kids try to get in the back doors after school. Nope, they had to go around to the front. Only kids who come in those doors are special ed, and they have somebody by the door in the a.m. to let them in and see that they get to their classroom or lockers.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Scared to go back
Old 02-20-2018, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I haven't subbed since the day before Florida atrocities. Not sure I want to return.

I hate how some schools don't give subs classroom keys, or leave their connecting doors open. Unacceptable to me.

The other day I purposely had a door locked and a neighboring teacher purposely unlocked it. Why??

I feel for these kids deeply. I really do.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-20-2018, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Several years ago as I entered the classroom where I was to teach that day there was a man at the exit door banging to be let in. Since he was bundled up like Kenny from South Park, I motioned towards the main entrance of the school. He then tried the door. I went into the classroom and buzzed the office and told them of the situation. They told me to find another teacher to verify who he was. I did this and she let him in. Upon entry to the building he spoke harshly to me about not allowing him entry. I told him that I didn't know him and school/district policy states that entry to the school is through the main office. He continued his tirade until I suggested we go to the principal's office to resolve this. Only then did he back off and leave the room. At lunch time I let the principal know what transpired.
SubMan is online now   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 02-21-2018, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

One of my districts has a couple elementary schools with a door, though not the main door, near the parking lot. Before the Sandy Hook tragedy, subs could enter through them, and it was nice on cold or rainy mornings.

After Sandy Hook, everything changed. Regular staff still have access, but subs have to make the long walk around the building to the main door. It can be a pain when the weather is nasty, but subs accept it.

You did the right thing. Shame on anyone who urged you to let the volunteer in. If subs have to come in through the main entrance, others who aren't regular staff members should too.

A few years ago, I was in a similar situation. It was near the end of the day, and I was in a room near the back of the school with a door (without a window) to the outside. Someone started pounding, and the students said it was fine to let her in. I said no. The pounding continued, and they told me she comes in to run an after-school program in the room. I still said no. This caused a lot of debate--and wasted time--until the woman left and went to the main entrance. She wasn't very happy, but I stood my ground.
I discussed it after school with the office staff. They supported me--sort of--but their support didn't sound very sincere. I've since dropped that school and school district.

You didn't mention it, but I wonder how large high schools deal with it. Yes, there is usually one main entrance door with other doors locked from the outside. Still, there are frequently so many doors that it's impossible to prevent students who are in the hall (going to the bathroom??) from opening them to outsiders. A school might have security cameras to watch every one, but sometimes it only takes a moment for an outsider to be let in. Years ago, I recall reading about high schools that chained outside doors, but fire marshals put a stop to that.

c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Subman
Old 02-21-2018, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What a harrowing experience. I would have been so irate if he had done that to me and would have included the incident in my end of day report.

I used to sub at an elementary school and a teacher who was late reporting to school kept banging on my window to let her in the back door. (I found out later.). I ignored it, and thank goodness that the windows were frosted and she couldn't see in.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

lovetosub
Old 02-24-2018, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I mentioned the encounter to the principal at lunch time, principal helps supervise the lunch room, I had duty. I also mentioned this to the sub coordinator. Teacher in question may have been called "on the carpet" as he was considerably calmer the next time I saw him.
SubMan is online now   Reply With Quote