Help

Substitute Teachers

Snow Days

>

artladyhere

Snow Days
Old 02-21-2018, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does the sub office sent out alerts to the subs when it's a snow day?

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Nope, but....
Old 02-21-2018, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I follow our schools on Twitter and also belong to the parent group on FB. Twitter is the best, as they post it as soon as the phone blast/emails go out. Our district is really into social media, so that is really helpful.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

A robocall I don't mind...
Old 02-23-2018, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our district uses a robocall system... while it's geared mostly for parents, anyone who needs the information can sign up for it. (Subs aren't automatically included, we have to sign up.) Calls are usually made around 5 AM. They also use the system for other things including important meetings, advising of lockdown drills, etc.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-24-2018, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm in three districts, only one does the robocall thing; the other two I look at their websites or on the TV news sites. What really stinks is if school is canceled in one district but not in the other two I can't see the jobs until the closed school deletes the absence, sometimes not until after lunch.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Here's my frustration with this:
Old 04-04-2018, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One of the districts I go to often starts with a 2 hour delay and then cancels for the day when they have a better idea of how long it's going to take to clear the roads. That makes sense, but they are sometimes a little haphazard about notifying people of the change. That's the situation I'm in this morning. I've been through it enough times that I knew to check their FB page to see if they had closed for the day. They had, but AESOP still says they're on a 2 hour delay and so do the TV stations. I don't have to drive a long ways to get there so it may get changed on AESOP/TV stations before I would have to leave (it didn't last time, though) but some of their subs have a 45-60 minute commute (in good weather) to get there so they could already be on the road. If there's a way to sign up for text alerts from the district I don't know how to find out about it. The regular teachers have a calling tree. I guess if I decide to continue subbing there next year I'm going to have to get assertive about finding out how to get notified in a timely manner.

ETA:
Quote:
What really stinks is if school is canceled in one district but not in the other two I can't see the jobs until the closed school deletes the absence, sometimes not until after lunch.
Yes. It wouldn't make any difference today since all of the districts I deal with through AESOP are down today, but this particular district is twice as likely to cancel simply because they have some truly formidable back roads, so a sub can easily lose money in the winter by being willing to accept jobs in advance there.

Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote