Substitute Teachers

Last-Minute Multi-Day Cancellation

>

FunSub1

FunSub1

Last-Minute Multi-Day Cancellation
Old 03-07-2018, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I picked up a five-day job asignment two months ago. The day before the assignment, my sub agency emails me to say that the school made a mistake, and they had somebody else in mind. So, I was being removed from the assignment on the day before it, and now I have to find four new days of work (I was unsuccessful at finding a new job for the first day).

mooba1

Old 03-07-2018, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How frustrating! Also, it’s hard to believe the school/teacher couldn’t figure out until the 11th hour they’d made a mistake, when the job was booked 2 months ago.

I don’t know, b/c my district doesn’t use a sub agency. Subs either book directly with the teachers, office managers, or find jobs through the online system. Maybe there’s some reasonable explanation why this happened? In any case, it doesn’t help you out with trying to replace 5 lost days.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

it's better than
Old 03-07-2018, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry that happened to you too. You're not alone at experiencing these inconveniences. You're right that it would've been better if they had cancelled at least a couple of days in advance.

If I'm on PD whenever I enter my absence(s) I make sure that I have my paperwork and get authorizations at least a week before. Then I enter the absence in a system at least three days before so that if there's any change, that leaves me at least day to cancel. The only reason why this happens is because a meeting or a conference could've been postponed.

In a school district I know, if someone fails to cancel with enough notice, or makes changes in the system, the supply teacher still gets to be in on the assignment except that some switching or reassignment could be in order. It is possible that the regular teacher pays for the supply out of his own pocket due to an error made by a regular teacher in procuring a supply.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

you're not alone
Old 03-08-2018, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

FunSub1: I feel your pain. In fact, I just had a 5-day assignment cancelled (for April) ...even though I'd had a couple of great experiences at that school. I've been told that teachers will cancel a sub and reassign the job if one of their favored subs becomes available for those dates. Unfortunately, we have no guarantee that classes we sign up for will remain ours. The uncertainty comes with the job.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-08-2018 at 12:54 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

JustaSub

No consideration
Old 04-11-2018, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

They don't like it when we cancel at the last minute but they can cancel us just because. No consideration. Makes subs feel less than and unimportant. it is not their problem if the sub can't find another job that day, but if the sub cancels at the last minute, chances are, that job would be subless. Schools know the results of cancelling at the last minute, but do they care about the effects on the sub?

JustaSub is offline   Reply With Quote