Help

Gifted Education

Acceleration Questions

>

NCteacher

Acceleration Questions
Old 10-09-2007, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am not sure that this is the right board to post this on- but I'll give it a try. I have three 3rd graders who are not identified ar G/T- yet. I know that they are B-O-R-E-D in Math class. Can someone give me some ways/examples of how to accelerate their learning? For example, my class just started rounding- I always give a pre and post test. These 3 kids sailed through it- I just cannot justify having them sit through lessons on something they already understand. The next objectives on my list are: multi-digit addition and subtraction with regrouping, geometry and graphing. I believe in differentiation strongly- but am not exactly sure how to go about it. Other than these 3 students, I have a fairly low achieving class overall. Help!

NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Options
Old 10-13-2007, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One thing you can do is take them to the next level. If they can round to nearest ten, give them hundreds, thousands, etc. Also how to round within the number - like 3456 rounded to the nearest ten.

The other option is to have them working in centers on something else. Either an independent project or a math game, versatiles, tangram puzzles, etc.

IF you get complaints from other students, be sure to explain HOW they got there, and that this option is available for any student who scores a xx% on their pretest.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

MizBee

Differentiating Through Flex Groups
Old 11-16-2007, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I taught third grade last year and differentiated for the math skills using flex groups. For each skill I taught, I'd split the kiddos into high-medium-low groups (more if necessary) according to their pre-assessment (usually morning work, quick quizzes, or self-evaluations of readiness). Then I had different levels of these skills at different places around the room. I usually spent most of my time with the low group... I tried to arrange push-in support during this time so an aide would work with another group, too. The groups changed all the time, with the skill at hand.

Some examples... For geometry, I'd have the highest group build models using those unifix cubes and figure out the area or test their neighbor, design a building using at least 10 different types of 2-d and 3-d shapes and label all of the shapes, or find the area and perimeter of different surface areas of things around the room and chart the data. While the high students did these sorts of activities, I'd be teaching a lesson to the low/medium kids and send the medium kids off to try it on their own, working longer with the low kids.

For graphing, I'd have all of my groups collect class data on a choice topic (favorite super-hero, book, sport were favorites). Then the lowest group would make a regular bar graph (complete with labels and key, etc). The middle group might be challenged to make one box on their grids worth two students or some variation like that. The high group would be challenged to do the same as the middle group in the form of a double bar graph comparing boys responses to girls responses.

These are just some examples! Hope they help....
MizBee is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 11-22-2007, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That does really help- thanks! I would love to some time of flexible grouping for my kids, but just can't see a way to work it with only me in the classroom. I am trying to think of other projects that my two high kids could work on independently during the week while I focus on the other kids.
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote