Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

5th Grade to PreKindergarten

>

Suecat.1

Suecat.1

5th Grade to PreKindergarten
Old 07-14-2018, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have taught 5th grade for 12 years and am moving to PreK this year. Any ideas for classroom management?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 07-17-2018, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congrats on your new position! Preschool classroom mangement is all about teaching structure/expectations and explicitly teaching social skills. From the 1st day of school you'll introduce classroom expectations and procedures for every single thing, like: How to I line up to wash hands? How do I wash hands? How do I sit on the carpet? What does it look like to listen during group time? what do I do if I need to use the restroom? How do I interact with materials appropriately? How do I walk in the classroom and put my things away? What do I do if I need help? etc.... It usually takes me a solid 2 weeks to teach classroom procedures. This is also because I teach an inclusive classroom of gen ed/sped in a Title 1 school, so my students have little to no exposure to structure and routine. If you are in a different setting, this may be done in a few days for you. Once I have taught expectations for classroom procedures, I spend the first few weeks of school teaching how to use classroom materials. We spend a day practicing how to use markers, a day on glue, a day on scissors, etc.. I introduce the materials during large group, then have students practice during small group.

The other part of preschool classroom management is teaching direct social skills. I always recommend a social skills curriculum. If your school doesn't have access to one, then look on teachers pay teachers for a long range curriculum plan for social skills to see what skills to teach (sharing, cooperation, apologizing, getting along with others, using manners, playing fairly, etc..) I usually have a "Focus Social Skill" each week for the first few months of school. On Monday I introduce the new social skill, and then I "catch" students praticing this skill during the day and give a sticker/stamp as reinforcement. After all social skills have been taught, I put students in charge of solving their own problems. We have a "problem solving station" in the classroom with pictures of solutions (get a teacher, set a timer, share, take turns, trade toys, etc.) and if a problem arises, I guide students towards the problem solving station to practice solving their own problems.

With a structured approach to teaching expectations and social skills, I've never had to use any formal classroom management system. Students who need Tier 3 intervention for behavior are often on an individual behavior system. If I have a particuarly crazy group one year, I might do a whole group incentive for a few week, but even that I try to fade out quickly. I'm a big fan of teaching intrinsic motivation and indepnedence and not using things like clip charts, treasure box, etc..

Good luck!

Suecat1

Thank you so Much!!!
Old 07-23-2018, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Preteach13,

You are a life saver!

Thank you so much for getting me started and for letting me know I can find a social skills curriculum on TPT. I'll look tonight. I also signed up for "Preschool Plan-It" with Cheryl Hatch. She has so many great ideas! If you think of anything else and can find time to share, I'd love it!

Thanks again!
Suecat1 is offline   Reply With Quote