Help

Gifted Education

Gifted Pullout Help

>

felineteacher

Gifted Pullout Help
Old 07-25-2018, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was asked last week to run our gifted program this school year. We start next week! AH! The only guidance my principal has given me is that it's going to be pullout instruction and I get to create the program myself. We haven't had a gifted pullout teacher in over 4 years, so there's nothing for me to go on. Who has examples of what they do? Any guidance is appreciated!

felineteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 07-28-2018, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach gifted pullout at my school. I teach multi-disciplinary units on various topics. This year, my first and second graders will do a book study of Charlotte's Web and learn about spiders, a study about sharks, a book study of Bill Pickett: Rodeo Ridin' Cowboy and learn all about cowboy life and culture, and a study about bats. My third graders will do book studies of Frindle, a kid-friendly version of Beowulf, and Poppy by Avi. We will also do studies about the science of bubbles, ancient Egypt, and paleontology.

Each unit incorporates informational text, brainteasers, logic puzzles, individual research projects, group discussions, brainstorming and creative problem solving activities, and critical thinking activities. We use units that are created by other GATE pullout teachers in my district, but TPT has a lot of resources that could help you get started.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote