Being sensitive to students of non-traditional families during "Family" theme - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Being sensitive to students of non-traditional families during "Family" theme

>

ruralteacher

Being sensitive to students of non-traditional families during "Family" theme
Old 09-11-2018, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would love some activities to use with my pre-k students during our time exploring families, particularly creative art activities. I wanted to have the kids make something to display about "Our Families." There are several ideas on Pinterest that use colored shapes (ie, one shape or color for each family member within the house), but I don't want my children with two families to feel separate from the rest because she/he will have more or fewer shapes than the other children. I just want them to celebrate their families! Is this a valid concern, or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? Has anyone else done this theme, and if so, what kinds of things did you do?

ruralteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I think it is always a good idea to be
Old 09-12-2018, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

sensitive to this. I always read a few books about how families are all different and all the same. One was, I think, Who is in my family. If you encourage them to have a positive response to families being different I am sure that your students will feel fine about the different sizes of their families.
Lessons like these teach the students that there is no one right way for a family to be. Your enthusiasm about each family, large and small and extended will influence the children to see it that way too.

I think I would have the students show their families on a big background paper and not inside a house shape because many kids have family members living in different houses. Just a thought.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote