Help

Kindergarten

Letter to Families About Attendance

>

StellaBulldog

Letter to Families About Attendance
Old 10-03-2018, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are 22 days in (I think) and I have had students called nearly everyday for early dismissal. Most it seems because the parent gets to school early and doesn't want to wait until dismissal time or because they have something "fun" to do. I have never had anything like this before and the calls into the room are getting distracting. Students are starting to complain that they never get called to go home early.

I want to send a letter to families about the importance of coming to school on time, staying the whole time, and missing as few days as possible. I don't want to come off as mean or anything but I also find it very offensive when I am treated like a babysitting service and that some of the families are not taking kindergarten seriously.

Has anyone written a letter like this before? I really am at a loss of what to say.

StellaBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-04-2018, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't think it's mean at all to send something out. It's reality, and they need to get used to school hours. Just stress your school hours, how there have been a lot of early release, and students are missing instruction and activities every time they are taken out of school. I've sent class wide reminders out when tardies start to become a habit rather than an exception.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Clear it with the office
Old 10-05-2018, 01:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At my school letters like this come from the office. Or at least have to be cleared by the P. What you need to say sounds perfect. I've had students miss a whole day when they get a haircut.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote