Help with Rhyme

>

ILoveKinder7

ILoveKinder7

Help with Rhyme
Old 10-07-2018, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,
How does everyone introduce rhyme? Also, what activities do you use to practice rhyme? I feel like its a concept that some students understand easily and some students struggle with. I know my ELL students struggle with rhyme. I was wondering if they hear the words differently or is it just and issue with understanding the concept of rhyme.

Zia

Old 10-07-2018, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If I know anything, it's that ESL kids will always struggle with rhyming!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-07-2018, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did a little of my own research on this because I'm required to use Sounds Sensible with my K students, and rhyming is one of the daily lesson components. Last year we were going into the 3rd quarter and I still had a lot of students who couldn't do it, and it's in no way connected to the assessments we give (and are unfortunately judged on as part of our evals).

What I read said that rhyming is a good indicator of whether or not a child will struggle with PA skills, but there is no evidence to support that actually teaching rhyming makes PA skills better. We have a state level literacy grant and the person who works with our school is actually pretty knowledgeable- I asked her about it and she echoed the same thing. She basically said it's an okay beginning of the year activity to get students interested in listening for sounds, but that you shouldn't continue to harp on it over other skills. It's also well researched that rhyming is one of the last skills ELs will pick up.

In Sounds Sensible they start with little pictures with rhyming phrases on them (i.e. "a star in the jar") and students just practice repeating the phrase. Then they move on to matching two pictures that rhyme. They are taught to hold their left hand out facing the body with the thumb up and the other four fingers facing out. Using the right hand, you use your index finger to say the beginning part of the word while sliding the finger down your thumb, and then slide your right hand finger across your left hand four fingers while saying the rest of the word.

There is probably a video somewhere if you google it- not sure how much this makes sense in just writing. I usually say we are "listening for the ending sound" while doing this. We first do the picture we're trying to match to (i.e. this is "sick". What is this? Students repeat "sick." Let's find the ending sound). Then when they pick out the picture they think rhymes, we check that picture using "rhyming hands" to see if it ends in "ick" also. Then they are given just one picture and asked to identify a rhyme. I know there are more skills taught after that but I don't have the materials with me and can't remember them right now.

This year, I am doing the rhyming in the beginning of the year, largely because my kids don't really have the background to do many of other other components in Sounds Sensible yet, and then plan to back off of it as the year goes on to focus more on letter sounds.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-07-2018, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
If I know anything, it's that ESL kids will always struggle with rhyming!

Yes! It is such a struggle for them.

Rather than teach rhyming on it's own, I talk about it as we come across it (which, as you know, is a lot). Poems, books, songs, etc - it's easy to find rhymes.

We also do a name of the day activity, and one of the things is to make up rhymes to go with each person's name.

I don't worry about my ELL kids and rhyming. If they get it, great. If not, we move on. As was already said, it's not a true indicator of reading readiness.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 10-07-2018, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I often point out rhymes when we're reading picture books. That way, it's not totally unfamiliar when they get to it as a lesson.

I also like the game where you have the ending of a word and several different first letters printed on big cards (ex: ran, can, man... or: cat, hat, sat...)

Give each card to a kid, and have them stand in front of the class and swap out the first position to make different rhyming words. (Let them jump in and out of place, if you're not directly over another classroom!)

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-07-2018, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do a Dr.Suess unit and explain the attributes of rhyming words. (the middle and ending sound is the the same) We stretch two words over our arm and change the first sound in each word. The first sound was on our shoulder.The middle sound is on the inside of our elbow and the last sound is on the top of our hand. We often walk over to the alphabet chart on the wall and choose a letter to replace the first sound of a word. We make a lot of nonsense words with that activity. Half of my class are language learners and I believe rhyming is an important phonemic awareness skill for future reading and writing skills.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Old 10-10-2018, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I rhyme their names every day as I call them to go to the bathroom, or line up. So for Mary, I say Terry, Larry, Sarry, then I pause and say Mary!!
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote