Help

Kindergarten

now I know

>

calumetteach

now I know
Old 10-08-2018, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Why kids get 5 backwards in second grade! It's hard to teach and hard to learn!

Does anyone have tricks for both 5 and 2 to help my kids? I know it will take practice but anything to make it easier for them is appreciated!

Thank you so much.

calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 10-08-2018, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, it is common to see some reversals in kindergarten.

Teach each numeral separately. Be explicit. Provide verbal cues (precise directions on how to form the numeral) and visual cues (provide a model with numbered arrows). Make it multi-sensory. You can have students practice tracing in the air to get the gross motor movement. They can write it large on a teaching easel. Then have them use their finger to trace the numerals in sand. You can have your students make the numerals with Play-Doh, wikki stix, pipe cleaners... Have them say the strokes as they are writing the numeral.

You can have the child look at the model with the numbered arrows. Trace over the model with finger while saying the strokes. Then cover up the model and write from memory. Uncover and check.

Sometimes it is helpful to point out how the numerals are formed differently and start out at different places. 2 starts below the headline and 5 starts on the headline. Depending upon which handwriting system you use, 2 is a continuous stroke.You circle forward, slant left and slide right. 5 is not continuous.You pull-down straight, circle forward, lift, go back to starting point and slide right. Have students compare the two numerals to tell how they are alike and different.

We sing Dr. Jean's Numeral Song as we trace the numerals. I have dotted numerals (3 of each) on a sheet inside plastic sheet protectors. I have starting dots for each numeral. We trace over the numerals with our fingers at first because the song can be too fast when they are first learning. Then they start to use their dry erase markers. Students love singing the song and I often hear them singing it when they write a number.
iteachk2010 is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-10-2018, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We do rhymes for each number Five : fat Mr. Five goes down and around,put a hat on him and look what we found. Two: up and around on the railroad tracks..two,two,two. We are dramatic and expressive when receiving these poems,writing in the air with our fingers first.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Old 10-10-2018, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, you did ask for tricks!

When I teach 2, I show a large numeral 2 (I use this one from this website: http://www.makinglearningfun.com/the...wayNumbers.htm).

I start at the top, I say 'go around and down and over" and as you say "over" you write that last line really fast. The kids laugh, and we know that when kids laugh, they remember.

For 5, I say "5, belly, hat" as I write it for the kids, because I teach that number using the Heidi songs numbers CD ($15 from https://www.heidisongs.com/collections/numbers). The song is really catchy and saying '5, belly, hat" as you write the number 5 helps it stick.

Hope that helps.
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

Thank you!
Old 10-11-2018, 02:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think more of them are getting it than not. It's amazing how much you remember from being a kid...even when you're up there in years. I do remember being confused which way those numbers marched. I am really amazed at the growth of kids.

calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

So Funny
Old 10-11-2018, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I taught second and we did cursive. This reminds me of al the weird and goofy things Id say to get them to remember how to form the letters! No advice, but I love these tricks!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote