I wish Aesop would at least tell you why! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

I wish Aesop would at least tell you why!

>

J-Mo

I wish Aesop would at least tell you why!
Old 10-18-2018, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So my last post on this forum was about a sub job I picked up that I was "removed" from. Key word, "removed." I got over that, with the help of you guys, and all the great teachers I have met since I started subbing.

Now, I have this new situation that I don't understand, and the curiosity is killing me.

I month ago, I picked up an instructional aide job. About a week after I picked it up, I got a message saying "The employee has canceled the job", which is a million times better than reading, "The substitute has been removed from the job."

So, I figured she thought she needed a sub, but it turned out she didn't. I went back on Aesop to see if there was another job on that same date, and sure enough, there was the same job, same aide... I guess I got a little ballzy and decided to pick it up again, to see what would happen. Nothing happened for about two weeks, and then, just now, the same thing happened. She canceled the job, but there it was, posted again.

I'm done beating myself up about it. Maybe she saw my profile and needed me to be bilingual or have special ed credentials. But I mean, there is the option to put that requirement under the "special instructions" section.

I'm at the point in my subbing where I feel good and capable. I'm being requested by teachers, kids run up to me screaming my name, waving and hugging, and groups of instructional aides now include me in their lunch runs. I feel good about myself, but I just wish Aesop had a more human touch to it. Many of us are aspiring teachers who want to always improve upon ourselves. If there was any issue with me, I'd sure love to know what it was so I could fix it.

Anyways, just wondering if there are any teachers on here who know what that is about, and if there are any subs who have ever had that happen to them before?

PS: Happy Fall Guys!!

J-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

I agree, but don't worry about it
Old 10-19-2018, 02:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I too wish there was a more human side to subbing. I feel like a slave to aesop at times and get frustrated.

That being said, don't waste your time wondering about teachers removing you. Nothing we can do about it. We as subs have bigger fish to fry, like tracking down our paychecks and maintaining our sanity.

Find another assignment. And as they say in NYC: "Fuh-ged about it!"
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

What subasaurus said
Old 10-19-2018, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It sounds as though youíve found your footing as a sub, and you must be doing very well in the classroom, based on the reactions youíre getting from students and teachers.

Donít waste another minute on trying to figure out what this other person is thinking. Good to hear youíre doing so well!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 10-19-2018, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would think she wanted a particular sub. Happy Fall
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

unavailable
Old 10-20-2018, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"I would think she wanted a particular sub"

And if that person's unavailable though...

OneGreatSub

Subbing requires a thick skin.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've learned to put up with the dismissive tone on Aesop, my paycheck being delayed two months (a pet peeve), not getting paid for mandatory training (a violation of the law), rude teachers and staff, etc. Subs put up with a lot, and I agree that we deserve some sort of explanation when jobs are pulled. The sub co-ordinaror in my district insists that we provide a reason when we cancel a job, but we aren't owed an explanation when we are on the receiving end of a cancellation. I simply wouldn't accept any more jobs for that position. They seem to have someone else in mind anyway. Don't sweat it. These things unfortunately happen.
OneGreatSub is offline   Reply With Quote