Kindergarten

Writers Workshop

>

KoolKinder18

Writers Workshop
Old 10-20-2018, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,

I wanted to know how other teachers do their writers workshop and if you give students a topic or allow free choice. I have a hard time thinking of relevant topics. I feel like my students do better when given a topic. So, for my writers workshop I will usually think of a topic & draw a quick pictures. I model how to label my picture by stretching out the sounds or finding the word in the classroom. Last, I will write a short sentence to go with my picture.

KoolKinder18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-20-2018, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't do "writer's workshop" in the classic sense at this point in the year. But most of the writing we do is free choice and in journals with no particular product in mind. I find that my kids enjoy writing more when they are choosing what to draw and write about. I also don't often use sentence frames because I feel like it inhibits their creativity and their independence.

I model writing all of the time and in different ways, but when my students write I don't have any expectations at this point in the year other than effort. The kids that are ready are already starting to write sentences on their own and are starting to use the conventions that we always talk about. The ones that are not ready are still drawing and sometimes adding some random letters and words. A couple of weeks ago I started giving an incentive of a sparkly sticker in their journal if they try to write a sentence, and that was all it took for most of them to start writing on their own. We will get to editing, etc. after January.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote