Help

Substitute Teachers

Why do I keep going back to 1st?

>

Sublime

Why do I keep going back to 1st?
Old 10-20-2018, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It seems I never learn. I keep taking 1st grade jobs and having the same result: a group of tiny children who can't sit still, can't be quiet, follow directions only after the 4th time you give them, and tattle constantly. I thought this job might be different since the teacher was a man (I am not being sexist) but it wasn't. He actually had in his plans to do free reading for 45 minutes! I did not follow that plan.

Anyone else keep hitting their head on a brick wall over and over again when they don't have to????

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 10-20-2018, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You do it for the same reason I accepted TWO 1st grade split day jobs (split w/ an upper grade both days) again this year. I did so with the complete recollection of having said, “never again” after I did the same thing last year. Maybe we suffer from periodic bouts of trauma-induced amnesia.

In all seriousness, I THINK what I’m thinking when I agree to such assignments is that it’s only one day out of my sub life. It just feels a lot longer than that at the time.

ETA: 45 minutes of free reading time? In first grade? Bwah-ha-ha!!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 10-20-2018, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Heading back for 2 days next week myself. Lord help me. I know one teacher has excellent classroom management, the other just has a really tough class. They both requested me and I really like both of them, so I figure one day will balance out the other.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 10-20-2018, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I enjoy 1st and 2nd grade myself but those jobs are snatched up fast while the 5th and 6th grade classes are slow to be taken. If you don't like teaching the little ones, leave them for the subs who prefer them. There are plenty of takers. ☺
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

OneGreatSub

Old 10-20-2018, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't take jobs in K, 1, or 2 or 9-12. Strictly 3-8 for me. But some subs love the little ones. I have a friend who only wants K. I consider that a form of torture. Same with high school. No thanks. We all know our strengths and might as well capitalize on them on the job. Makes for a more pleasant day for us and the students.

OneGreatSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 10-21-2018, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Lol. I enjoy the little ones, but yes they can be very tiring. In my district all kindergarten classes have a teacher and an assistant so that makes those jobs somewhat less tiring since the other one at least knows the routine. Although there was that time last year when I subbed for a kindergarten teacher and the assistant was also a sub! oy... It went okay only because I sub at only one school so I do know all the routines.

For my school it so much depends on who is in each class. Every grade has its own reputation, such as this year's 2nd grade which is known as the Never-Stops-Talking grade. I spent two days in one a few weeks ago and came home saying "never again". But then I took a job at a different school, for a friend, and O.M.G. it was the class from hell! (also 2nd grade). I texted the teacher back at my regular school and told her that her children were angels. And yes I've taken another job for her. lol

The one thing that makes me the craziest though is that tattling. My standard line is "I don't want to hear 'she said/he said'." And when they continue to try I just say "nope".
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 10-21-2018, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I know a lot of teachers dislike teaching little ones because of the so-called tattling. I don't discourage kids from reporting things or mind it because I often receive important information from the students that needs my attention. Too many adults remain silent about crimes they've witnessed rather than reporting it. Is that because they consider it "tattling"? I wonder.

I got (unwillingly) wrangled into teaching a 4th/5th grade combo class for 4 days recently. There had been a bullying incident during recess that I found out about only because I encountered a few of the class members in a huddle talking about it amongst themselves. The victim (also my student) didn't tell me either. Is that because they regarded reporting it as tattling?

That's an instance where these kids needed to get adult intervention. 1st or 2nd graders would have told me immediately. To me, that's far preferable to the secretiveness and gossip I witnessed with the 5th graders.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 10-21-2018 at 09:38 AM..

Kailey123

Old 10-22-2018, 03:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Luv2teach -- we have the "B Rule" -- "blood, barf, bullying"...those are the things a kid should report on. Those are totally different from "Billy bumped me in line!" or "Susie and Janie are mad at each other" or "Mike is chewing on his pencil eraser!" .... etc. All the 100 different ways the little ones can tattle on each other. That's not the same thing as actual bullying.

Of course, with the huge push of teaching about bullying that also can morph into ordinary tattling... Such as "Billy is bullying me!" Me: "How is he doing that?" Kid: "He bumped me two times in line." Me: "sigh...." I'm standing right there and the reason Billy accidentally bumped him in line (I saw it) was because the tattling kid tried to cut in line and as a result everyone was too close to each other.

Oy.
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 10-22-2018, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Kailey123...I think the tattling topic warrants a thread of its own. Don't want to hijack this thread. I'll just say this. I'm aware of efforts in schools to teach kids not to "tattle." But I think it is mainly because adults don't want to be bothered.

Bullying is a complex issue and it can initially take very subtle forms. I believe it requires an adult's discernment to sort out these behaviors. Leaving it to a young child to differentiate does more harm than good. I would rather hear the complaint and sort out the issue than discourage a child from reporting what may turn out to be important information. For instance, what about stealing? Shouldn't that be reported?

I know of a teacher whose money was stolen from her purse right in the classroom. I'm sure some of the students knew who did it. Shouldn't someone have reported it? No one stepped forward. I also know a 3rd grader whose snacks were constantly being stolen from his backpack. Is that stealing or bullying? Fortunately, he did report it to me and his regular teacher, who took it seriously and was actively addressing the problem.

My experience as a child was one of too often not being heard by school staff. So I always take time to listen, even to 1st graders! ☺

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 10-22-2018 at 04:54 AM..

Lakeside

1st grade
Old 10-22-2018, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm not well-suited to 1st grade, either. I can visit once in a while, but I get claustrophobic from them always wanting to crowd around you instead of raising their hands.

As for the tattling - I ask them if they are trying to get someone out of trouble or just into trouble:

"Jimmy is pulling Susie's hair." is appropriate telling. Your purpose is to get Susie out of a bad situation.

"Jimmy is using pen when you said to use pencil." is petty tattling. Your purpose is to to get Jimmy into trouble.

And yes, 45 minutes of practically anything is too much for six-year-olds!

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Submarine24

Model of Trad Public Ed--Industrial Revolutio
Old 10-25-2018, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The prob is the horrible 100year old+ "model" we still use of making children sit all day, esp little ones. The science is that sitting kills, this is CLEAR, so while all the adults are running out and getting their standing/treadmill desks, we apparently don't care that we still make our GROWING children sit all day but the system was never set up to serve the children. It was set up to serve the adults.

The kids hate it. I don't sub in the lower grades because in my mind, asking a bunch of five year olds to sit all day, in tight little rows, in tight little boxes, constitutes an act of cruelty because it is.

It's all about the chair, still--an old model designed to prep kids for the assembly line, control, and it has to go.
Submarine24 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Not in rows anymore
Old 10-25-2018, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Sunmarine24...Maybe it's been a while since you've visited an elementary school? I sub for K through 4th grades. In the 4 districts where I've taught, the elementary classes are never confined to desks. The students, especially the little ones, do a lot of moving around during class, sit on the carpet half the time, do rotations to different activity stations, and also have alternative seating such as ergonomic balls and stools and even sofas and cushions. They also get PE as well as 2 or 3 recesses and often extra recess, extra PE, and periodic stretch or walking/running breaks (some teachers use GoNoodle videos. I often have them do yoga). The table seating is usually in small table groups of 4 or 5 students each, facing each other, not in rows. From what I've seen, this is the norm now. The kids get plenty of movement. (So do the teachers!)

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 10-26-2018 at 04:22 AM..