Help

Kindergarten

Difficult student with difficult parents

>

Lanieob

Difficult student with difficult parents
Old 10-20-2018, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Could someone share some advice? How do I handle this?
I have a very difficult student this year- one of the toughest I have ever had. He entered Kindergarten displaying severe ODD type behaviors. He required intense adult support in following directions and complying with classroom rules. He has made some progress in this area within the classroom- but still has great difficulty and more so outside the class in unstructured settings, of course.
He is also exhibiting sensory processing issues-deliberately crashing into walls,difficulty monitoring his voice,- often yells in the classroom, falling/ flailing onto the floor, makes loud unusual noises out of the blue, etc.
When I contacted his mother, she reported that there were no behavior issues at home, that he had difficulty with transitions. She had a reason for everything- we give him choices at home (failing to follow directions), he doesn't like competitive games(problems in Gym class), etc. In additon, he was asked to leave the town summer rec program due to misbehavior.
When I contacted his preschool teacher- she told me that he had a very difficult year in preschool. Big surprise! Severe behavioral issues occurred and also sensory issues were noted. Staff recommended an evaluation at that time, before he entered kindergarten. Parents were reported as being very difficult and did not agree with/ refused any type of evaluation.
Examples of preschool behaviors- aggression towards peers, throwing furniture, oppositional, non-compliant behavior. Geez- looks like he's a real dreamboat in my class!
The preschool director noted that it was a very difficult situation. Any advice on the best way to handle this?? I am bringing him to my student student study team and requesting an OT eval- irregardless of what the parents say. He is a real impact on my class and it is so exhausting!!!

Lanieob is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-20-2018, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, I am so sorry. It is so exhausting to have students like that in the classroom. You feel like you aren't helping them and you're taking away from everyone else.

Have there been other staff in to observe him? I would get admin, school psych, anyone you can to come do an observation.

I think that one of the most important pieces to these situations is documenting behavior without emotions. Just document exactly what he does and if there was anything that happened before to trigger behaviors. If he exhibits the same things continually I like to make a cheat sheet with all of the behaviors, so when documenting I just need to put a check mark, or a time, or whatever and don't have to keep writing the same things over and over again.

With my extreme behavior this year, I also started tracking how much time she was on task (which was probably 15 minutes over the course of the whole day) just so they could see how much instructional time was being lost. I also take and share a lot of photos with our parents. I felt a bit passive agressive but would intentionally take photos of the class working, or in p.e., or other things throughout our day and she was almost always laying under a table or wandering around or off task. I just wanted her parents to see what she was doing in the context of the group.

Do you have any parent helpers in your classroom? Sometimes it helps when parents go to admin with their concerns.

Luckily parents do not need to agree to an SST, so that is definitely a good thing to start with in terms of official documentation. I'm sorry they are so blinded to their child. Parents can be such a stumbling block!

Have you found anything that he really responds to, that can be used as a reward (i.e. "bribe" ).

When I have students like that, I like to sit the rest of the class down and talk with them about responding to the student. Praise them for following the rules and ignoring behaviors, and brainstorm how the rest of the class can help.

Good luck, and don't be too hard on yourself. Kinder teachers are superheroes, but there's only so much one person can do!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-23-2018, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Until a parent acknowledges the problem the child will not be assessed so work on the parent.i.e. make it the parents 'problem. They must be inconvenience and made aware of how disruptive he is in your classroom. Many parents do not know
the whole picture. Follow classroom discipline plans,send home any behavior citations,put him on half day...go through a behavior plan with sst team. Parent must be listened to but made to be aware that they must address what probably is a serious problem. Their child needs an evaluation by a psychologist and/or psychiatrist.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote