Help

Substitute Teachers

Why do you sub?

>

YayaSub

Why do you sub?
Old 10-25-2018, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm curious to hear the various reasons we all sub. I know some are retired teachers who enjoy the ability to stay somewhat in the field without the headaches of the regular position. Some are hoping subbing will lead to a permanent assignment. Some do it to be on their children's schedules.

I began subbing when I was unsure whether I wanted to continue in my previous career. Subbing gave me time away from that field, and it matched my kids' schedules. Now that my kids are grown, I still enjoy the flexibility and limited hours required. I have also come to enjoy many of the adults and students I work with frequently.

Why do you sub?

YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Because...
Old 10-25-2018, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I didnít win the lotto!😩
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-25-2018, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I subbed because I wanted a job in that district. Secondary English positions were nearly impossible to find, but I thought I could sub and see what came open. I got a job the next year!
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 10-25-2018, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

After I retired, I stayed at home for a year. By September of the second year, I was bored, so I started subbing in my former district.

Without the pressures of full time teaching, I soon rediscovered why I became a teacher in the first place. Additionally, I love being with the kids (most days) and the extra $$ has been nice as well.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-25-2018, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

After I was furloughed in 2012 I resumed subbing in order to gain a contracted position. This, so far, has been a difficult and fruitless search. So now I sub while seeking a full-time job out of education. I am too old not to be working and to young to retire.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 10-26-2018, 02:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The primary reason I sub is that I truly enjoy working with the kids. I also love teaching. I'm well past the usual retirement age--have been encouraged to consider getting certified and teaching kids full time, but at this stage of my life I'm happy with the role I have--it includes working with the school as a volunteer as well, so I'm truly part of the school community and hope to remain so as long as my health permits.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

flexibility
Old 10-26-2018, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Lots of reasons - I love kids, I love promoting learning, a little extra money is nice...but the biggest reason for me is the flexibility. I can adjust my schedule as needed to accommodate family stuff.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 10-26-2018, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Extra money for my kids/filling in the gaps of DH's salary. I'm not planning on going back to teaching full time.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

retiredtwice

Old 10-27-2018, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I retired from General Motors over 2 years ago. I thought teaching would be a good way to break up the Michigan winters. I'm going to try subbing until golf season starts again in the spring.

I taught community ed way back in the day and coached soccer for many years but a classroom full of children is a different challenge.

The first three times I've subbed, the teacher has left nothing more than reading or crossword puzzles. It's a challenge even at the high school level to keep the kids focused. I understand that teachers don't know who they will get as a sub and many don't follow lesson plans but it is flustering to walk into a classroom and have to improvise for the entire hour. (I only do high school).
retiredtwice is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 10-27-2018, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Because (as my username says) I love to teach!

I have been a teacher much of my life, but not K-12. I got my MA and was teaching adults (adult English and ESL and as a corporate trainer), and then in that awkward stage of "semi retirement," I started working on a secondary teaching credential. I took a break to try substitute teaching. Much to my surprise, I've enjoyed teaching K-4th the most and absolutely can't stand middle or high school (I had planned to get a secondary English credential...no more).

So here I am nearly 3 years later and still regularly subbing K to 4th . I still may finish my elementary credential, just for my own gratification. But for the time being, I can teach to my heart's content and am enjoying the variety and flexibility that subbing provides.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 10-27-2018 at 02:50 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Lennter

Lennter

Why I Sub
Old 10-28-2018, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

@subman. Yes I am too young to retire but I have to keep on working. I am trying hard to find something else. There are days I like subbing, but I am tired of dealing with the unknown circumstances. Every once in a while I step into a classroom that is extremely difficult to manage. Where I live I simply need more money so something has to change for me soon.

elepen

Old 10-29-2018, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Iím a retired teacher and there are no temporary jobs like subbing with the flexibility and a sub app that bings when there are jobs. I love the students especially all the different personalities. Even if Iím in a bad mood and really wanted to cancel they bring me out of it. The extra $$ are nice too
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 10-30-2018, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

making some money and having an opportunity to work with kids. If I won lotto I would volunteer to work with students. And actually, I would rather the latter, but I don't gamble.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote