Kindergarten

Student Stealing Things

>

KndrTeach123

KndrTeach123

Student Stealing Things
Old 10-25-2018, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, several students in my class have been saying that things have been missing from their backpacks; specifically their snacks. A student's snack went missing again recently, and this particular day our class was out of the room the majority of the morning and only back in the classroom for a brief time before actually having snack. I'm thinking this is "impossible", so I find myself digging through the trash to find evidence. Well, long story short another student had stolen the snack and put it in their boot. I contacted the students parents and sent a behavior notice home. I thought the student had learned their lesson. But, yesterday a student's book from the book fair was missing and I find it inside the same student's backpack from the snack incident. Today, a student is missing their hand sanitizer, so I ask the same student about it who had taken other things. The student lies to me about having the hand sanitizer, but I already know because they couldn't even look at me. So, I check the student's backpack and the hand sanitizer is there. What should I do? I don't even think the student cares that I contact their parents. I was really upset about the snack incident because I buy snacks so all students have something to eat.

anna

Old 10-26-2018, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The child may have a psychological issue of some kind. Go through careful social stories with the class on keeping their hands away from the things other people have. Be sure all children do not have access to the backpack area during the day . My backpack area is off limits to everyone unless they are back there as a group getting something. I have had kids that are literally food hoarders so that can present other issues that need to be addressed. I probably would do a home visit as well.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Be careful checking the backpack
Old 10-26-2018, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In our state it's illegal to search a child's backpack, so we do it on the sly and then have them open it in front of us. I just don't want you to get in trouble.

I would enlist the help of the guidance counselor to see if there are underlying issues, and watch the child like a hawk. I agree with no access to backpacks once they unpack, especially at this time of the year. It's almost November, so they should be responsible for taking out what they need.

Could you set up baskets for them to put their snacks into so they are within your sight?
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote