Help

Kindergarten

What are some things you do to

>

calumetteach

What are some things you do to
Old 01-09-2019, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

celebrate the 100th day of school? I've been keeping a penny chart adding a real penny each day (they think we're rich!) I told them when we get to 100 we would buy ice cream. (a few more pennies from my wallet should cover it, right?)

What other things do you do? Thanks for your help!

calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Cute
Old 01-09-2019, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love the penny chart idea!

Different projects I've seen over the years are:

T-shirts (or hats made from card stock) with 100 things on them
"100 show and tell" where kids bring a bag of 100 things
Trail mix - 10 each of ten different things (M&Ms, raisins, mini pretzels...)
Lakeside is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-09-2019, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Leading up, we just keep track of the days on the 100's chart (I highlight each day, with 5s and 10s a different color), in the little 100's 10's and 1's pocket thing (I put rods and cubes in instead of straws) and on tens frames. I like the penny idea! Do you ever change them for other coins?

As for the actual day, we've done a bunch of different things over the years. We usually do a take-home project of sorts (decorate a cape, make a collection of 100 things, etc). In class we make a hat and a shaker that we use to have our 100th day parade around school, do a 100th day snack, an art project where they take die cuts of 100 and turn them into something new, and then usually have some special games or challenges just for the day (100 piece puzzles, stack 100 cups, stack 100 pennies, build something with 100 legos, etc). We spend the whole day on our special 100th day activities. It's fun but exhausting!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

Thank you for the ideas!
Old 01-10-2019, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is my first year in K and I think our celebration will be a bit more low key.

For my penny chart...I get shiny pennies...I made a chart and laminated it...I think I'll have 3 in all and velcro the pennies on. I write how much we have underneath each penny.

When I taught 1st grade I did exchange them for other coins. I'm still gauging the ability of my kids. In first grade I once had a kid who took some of the money off of the chart with the velcro on and tried to buy a snack with it...with the velcro still attached
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 01-10-2019, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do many of the same activities as PPs and you. I have blank ten-frames on my board. Each day we add a sticker dot. We practice counting by tens and counting on. I have blank dominoes, too. Each day we add a sticker dot. They are double-five dominoes so we use them to count by fives. We add a straw to place value pocket chart each day.

We work in teams to complete 100-piece puzzles. Similar to Sbkangas5, my students love different challenges like stacking 100 cups and what can you make with 100 ______? I like her idea of stacking 100 pennies. I think I'll have my students try that.

On the 100th day, another activity we do is on the 100th minute of school, we stop to do 100 exercises (10 jumping jacks, 10 windmills...). Our former principal used to read a 100 word poem he wrote over the PA system. We read 100 c-v-c words.

I used to do the money chart where we added a penny each day when I taught first grade. We exchanged 5 pennies for a nickel, 2 nickels for a dime... For kindergarten I think I would just exchange for dimes and ten dimes for 1 dollar bill or silver dollar.

When we were a K-5 school, we had a school-wide display of students' collections of 100 and projects made out of 100 items on our stage and in the hallway. Classrooms were invited to visit the "100 Museum".

Years ago, I used to have the students make t-shirts to wear on the 100th day. They put 100 thumbprints on their t-shirts.

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
an art project where they take die cuts of 100 and turn them into something new
I do this and it is my favorite! They are so creative!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote