Help

Fifth Grade

Help For Teaching 5th Grade

>

pinacolada

Help For Teaching 5th Grade
Old 11-26-2007, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

i have a meeting with the supt for a grade 5 leave replacement position. i student taught 2nd grade and like the younger grades but since elem positions are so hard to come by id take this one if offered.

any ideas of what i should talk about? im comfortable with the math but in terms of the literacy. all the books i mentioned for teaching concepts such as peters chair for text to self connection etc were all grade 2-3 books

I REALLY NEED HELP

pinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote

luvteeching

I teach 5th grade
Old 11-26-2007, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

and I use Lucy Calkins, The Art of Teaching Reading, Nancie Atwell, The Reading Zone, and Fountas and Pinnell, Guiding Readers and Writers. These are all great books. They use the concept of reading workshops, self selecting "just right books" . That kind of thing. You'll love 5th grade, it is great, you have your challenges but the kids still like their teacher. Most of the time Hope this helps.
luvteeching is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

Some discussion points...
Old 11-26-2007, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How you're going to meet the needs of all the learners at this age--leveled assignments, choice charts, etc.

How you're going to tie in your content areas (soc. st. and science) into your reading program/guided reading groups.

How you will use picture books even at this grade level as hooks for certain lessons and for teaching various reading strategies such as visualizing and inferring.

Plans on referring to state standards and district curriculum to help prepare lessons and student assessments.

Samples of formative and summative evaluations/assessments you plan to use throughout the year.

How you plan on handling discipline issues that arise at this grade level.

Types of parental contact you plan to use.

How you plan on keeping kids this age internally motivated and interested.

There are so many more things to consider...talk with a fifth grade teacher you know and ask him/her to go through "A day in the life of..." to give you examples of info and structure you may need to be aware of.

Hope this is what you're looking for. Good luck.
trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenagain

Old 11-26-2007, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I went from teaching 2nd grade for many years to 5th grade this year for the same reason you mentioned. It has been wonderful for me.

Before school started, I was scared to death of older kids...especially since I'm only5 foot tall and am not that used to dealing with older kids but I love it!

Of course each age has its pros and cons but this age is so much more independent, has a much longer attention span and can enjoy my sense of humor at a different level. Not as much tattling but they still try to please for the most part. There are some attitude issues and some boy-girl stuff gets in the way but overall, I've been asking myself if I should think about staying in the upper grades and giving away my millions of picture books that are sitting in my garage. By the way, like a previous poster, I have found uses for quite a few picture books related to writing/reading lessons and for character counts examples.

Give it a try! You might be surprised like me.
Jenagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Froggy1

Suggestions from Jenagain
Old 12-02-2007, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I, too, have transitioned from 2nd to 5th. This is my first year. I packed up all of my picture books and put them into "limbo land." You mentioned that you've still used some of them. Would you be willing to list a few and tell me how you used them. I'm sorry I packed them up now and if I had a few titles in hand, I'd know exactly where to begin my digging! Thanks for any suggestions.

p.s. I'm loving 5th grade!

Froggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenagain

Froggy-
Old 12-02-2007, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We do basically a character trait per month so I went through and pulled books that had those themes. A few examples: Respect: Oliver Button is a Sissy, Responsibility: Pigsty, Caring: Thank You Mr. Falker, Mr. Lincoln's Way, Chair For Momma, Beatrice's Goat, Frog and Toad are Friends (The Letter Story), and more (My brain is fried tonight sorry! Wish I Was at School 'cause I xeroxed a reduced size picture of each title I read for these and put them on a character trait chart titled with whatever we're doing that month).

Other ways, for writing - I love to introduce using picture books as springboards for our own ideas. I read the book and then kids change it and make their own version. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day, If You Give a Mouse A Cookie, Diary of a Worm, Bad Ideas...and more. There are also some books about memories but unfortunately my own memory is failing now! One is about a memory jar and the other is a really long girl's name and she visits an old people's home and they describe their own memories to her. This is a great one to introduce personal narratives.

For Reading, I use picture books to introduce literature circles and we practice each of the jobs using a quick, short book we can all read together. This time it was Rumplestiltskin (sp?). I have been really surprised this year at how unfamiliar my 5th graders are with classic folk and fairy tales. When I did 2nd, I always included these in read alouds and literature sets.

Anyway, hope this gives you a good start. My class loves hearing these books (never any grumbling) and they really work well in a variety of ways.
Jenagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Froggy1

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2007, 11:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain some of your ideas. I have many of the books you mentioned, as well as it gives me some good ideas for others. Thank you again...
Froggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Kelly1

Kelly1

begining of year!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have been a first and secong grade teacher for many years and am very comfortable going into each school year. This year I am moving to fifth grade and have just found this out today(less than a week before school begins and with a holiday weekend) At this point I am sorta lost as to what to do with my new fifth grade students these first few days of school, before I really get more into the curriculum. I really need some suggestions!! Thanks
Kasha

Kasha

I'm a 5th grade teacher
Old 09-07-2009, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hey please e-mail me kamour_franklin@hotmail.com