Help

Gifted Education

What can I do?

>

jsfowler

What can I do?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have a gifted and talented program in our district but due to cutbacks it is practically nothing. When I was in school, we went to a separate building after lunch two days a week and worked on projects with our gifted teachers. What are some things I can do in class (besides assign extra research and reports) for my gifted students? I feel I am one of those teachers that teach to the top. I want them to be challenged and it raises the expectations for others as well.

jsfowler is offline   Reply With Quote

mafille

Old 02-18-2008, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is a catch 22 situation... Because if you assign anything but work, the rest of the class will be upset that they are stuck working.. Unfortunately for cutbacks it puts us in awkward positions. We want to challenge our students but without hindering another.

I would suggest asking your gifted students what subject they most like and try to find fun work associated with it. If the student likes math try giving him Sudoku puzzles.. and so on...
The tricky part is you cant make it actual work that you can grade because its not in the curriculum, its just you being a good teacher wanting to challenge everyone of your students!!
There should be more teachers like you, because way too many times my behaviour problemed children are the gifted ones that wre never challenged!
Hope this helps
mafille is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom
Old 02-20-2008, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

this is always my suggestion (I'm sure people here are tired of seeing it.. lol), but I think it is one of the BEST books for differentiating in the regular classroom. Get a copy for yourself and use the ideas there for replacement work, not extra work, for your students - not just GT, but any who might benefit from learning in a different way.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote