The Job Search

inteview and salary???

>

kelly20

kelly20

inteview and salary???
Old 10-12-2005, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, well here's my question. I had an interview with the principal. After a few days I also had an interview with the Superintendent which went quite well. He told me that now we just have to wait until the next board meeting to see if it's approved. I have my masters, so if this was a full-time position I would be getting 43,000, but it's not. It's part-time. So he told me my salary would be half the full time. My question is if I'm supposed to work around 25-26 hours a week and a full time teacher works around 36 hours shouldn't I be getting paid more since I'm going to be working more than half their hours. If I was only working 18 hours I'd understand. So now I'm just confused. When should I talk about salary. Should I talk about it after the position is approved by the board. I'm new to this. Do I also have to sign a contract. If so I guess I would have to bring this matter up then? Or maybe he just wasn't sure how many hours I would be working. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

meg

meg

Old 10-12-2005, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Be careful! I don't know exactly what to tell you, but it sounds weird...I always thought they worked these things out with percentages. For example, if you were working 20 hours, you would be 50% and get 50% of what an equally qualified, full time teacher would make(assuming a teacher technically works a 40 hour week, which our contract says). So if you were working more like 60-70%(like 26 hours), you would get 60-70% of the pay.

I think you need to work it out before you sign, as you may not have any recourse after. I didn't sign my cntract until after the board approved me, and I don't think we really discussed salary until that point either. I'm not sure really how to do it, except to ask straight out...good luck!

AD

My Advice
Old 10-12-2005, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my area some teachers work more hours than what's considered part-time hours, but they are not working as many hours as full-time teachers. They are considered part-time employees. Because of this they do not get the medical and dental benefits. I believe the pay is equivalent to the half-time. Not very fair, huh?

I'm assuming you'd have to sign a contract. I would definitely bring it up before you meet with the district to sign the contract. There's a chance they might not want to hire you if you don't agree to what they've set. You could also be penalized if you sign the contract, don't agree with them, and then break the contract.

I would also definitely have them clearly tell you what hours they expect you to work (what hours you will be paid for) and what your pay will be. If they tell you that you are working 25-26 hours but getting paid for half-time as if it were for 18 hours have them explain that to you. You should be getting paid for working 25-26 hours if that's what they expect.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote
mary 283

mary 283

Don't let the district take advantage of you
Old 10-15-2005, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Most teachers are paid for a 36 hour week, so 1/2 time is 18 hours. If they are paying you 1/2 time, you absolutely should only work 18 hours. I would have the district write down your hours so there are no surprises. I would find out who the union president is for the school district and talk to him or her before signing the contract. I wouldn't ask the district administrators who the president is, but ask a teacher in the district that you trust. You could even make an phone call to the district office from a friend's phone (in case the district has caller ID) and likely get the president's name and phone number. Just say you are doing a survey from another district.

It is against the law to be paid 1/2 time for a position that requires more than 1/2 time work. I know you want a job, but you want respect too and working 3/4 time for 1/2 wage is not respectful.

Good luck!