The Job Search

Please read --

>

Pam-IL

Pam-IL

Please read --
Old 05-13-2006, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After reading this week posts, some of you have interviews, some of you got job offers and a few have to make a decision between a couple of offers. So, I decided to sit down and do a personal reality check.

This past eight days, I have received 13 rejection letters from districts.
I am still in shock over the dysfunctional district – and their treatment
I have completed and sent numerous cyber-space applications – no replies yet.

I work in two districts as a sub – I enjoy sharing, guiding and teaching children and I like to work often – I have been subbing now for 5+ years.
The district I worked in the longest (4 years – FULL TIME – EVERY DAY including all the lousy, horrible no one else would take assignments), did my student teaching there, have letters of recommendation from and I am considered “stellar”. I checked with my cooperating teacher from last year about some job posts I saw. She told me that everything has been filed, with their current student teachers, and someone from Iowa. They didn’t even think of, or considered me – they forgot I existed.

The second district –(I have only worked there about 14 months) I called them and talked to HR and was told they only hire BA’s with certificates – they are cheaper. They only use MA’s for special ed., ESL, or reading. I am not any of these – nor am I bilingual. There are no positions for people like me with MA's. I was told to go to a richer district - the richer, better districts are swamped with applications. For each opening - they literally receive 1,000's of applications and since I don;'t have any classroom (my own) experience, my applications are tossed away.

I spent $37,676 for Graduate School – just finished a grueling 16 weeks earning an endorsement for Science (middle School) – this makes 4 endorsements – I did it to make myself more marketable in Illinois. I have endorsements for middle school in Language Arts, Social Studies, Science and Business. I have had it – I have been looking for a teaching position for two years. I even applied for part time positions. I GIVE UP!!!

Today I went to Panara Bread (semi - fast food place) and completed a paper application and didn’t list my education or past work experience. They needed a bus boy and I just got a call – and I am hired. I can start next week – cleaning up after my neighbors, people who are fortunate to have real, valuable jobs and stay at home moms with messy children.

Those of you who are interviewing, got job offers, decided between offers – good luck to you.

This is my last post – since I am not an educator and I don’t think there is a web site for bus boys……. I guess I will have to check.

techteacher

I'm sorry
Old 05-13-2006, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Pam, I am very sorry for what you are going through. I can understand why you are so discouraged. Can you relocate? I live in SC and there are lots of openings especially in the areas in which you are certified.
http://www.cerra.org/
From this website, you can search for positions and apply online. There is also and EXPO/Recruitment fair in June that you can register for. SC has a low cost of living and the weather is great!

Good luck to you.
techteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
trishlisa

trishlisa

Teaching Jobs in the U.S.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I found this website where you can register and look at teaching job openings everywhere. Maybe this can help you and others who are looking for teaching jobs.
trishlisa

trishlisa

Teaching jobs
Old 05-13-2006, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sorry forgot the website!! Here it is -http://www.teacherssupportnetwork.com/Home.do

phoebe611

I understand
Old 05-13-2006, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been looking for a public school position for a few years now. I have been fortunate to have "my own" classroom, but it is in a private school making considerably less than my public school peers. I worked for many years part time at a local retail store to help make ends meet (plus I enjoyed the work - a bookstore). I have decided that for WHATEVER reason, God doesn't need me in a public school yet. Don't give up if it is really what you want to do. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being a teacher and I bet you do too, or you would not have struggled so hard like you have to become an educator. Just because you don't have a full time "teaching" position, does not cancel the fact that you ARE and educator!!!

I agree with the posters who recommended you should move. I keep hearing about teacher shortages in North Carolina and Florida. I am unable and unwilling to move, but if you can - go for it! You may have to take an undesirable district or school, but at least you will have the experience you need. Then decide if you want to get out. Also, what about private schools? I do make A LOT less than public school teachers, but it does have it's perks.

Good luck to you!

phoebe611 is offline   Reply With Quote
GatorMan1

GatorMan1

An ideal solution would be . . .
Old 05-13-2006, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

to move to the South, where there are plenty of teaching jobs. With your qualifications, they'd be begging for you to teach down here in FL. But of course you may have family and roots in your state and moving may not be a viable option. It depends what's more important to you: where you live, or what you do.
At the job fair where I was hired, most of the teachers were from out of state, especially Michigan, Ohio, and the Midwest. They literally hired over 100 teachers in all subjects. It's still not too late to secure a job in Florida for next year.

Penny

texas
Old 05-14-2006, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

About 11 years ago, I went to a job fair in Madison, WI. I got there at 9, and felt like going home at 10. There was nothing for me, and none of the Wisconsin/Illinois districts that I looked at did more than tell me to throw my resume on the stack. I had looked for a job for 2 1/2 years and was tired and frustrated with the search.

I started talking to the Texas representatives. What a difference! A principal from El Paso spent the interview trying to convince me to come there. The superintendent from Rio Hondo actually took my transcripts exclaimed "Wow, you're certified!" and proceeded to practially BEG me to take a job on the spot.

I ended up working in Rio Hondo (in the Rio Grande Valley--deep, south Texas) for 6 years. It was not a dream job in my dream location, but it was a valuable start and the experience made it easier to relocate easily later. (Though I couldn't get back to Wisconsin.)

I agree with the above poster. I came down to the decision that I could teach, or live in Wisconsin. Decide if moving out of state is a good option for you.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote

TeAcHeRinFL

Florida
Old 05-14-2006, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It's never too late to get a job in Florida. They are ALWAYS hiring, even in the middle of the school year. Broward County is always receiving more students, so the need for teachers is great. Their website is http://www.browardschools.com. The state website is http://www.teachinflorida.com.

I moved here from New York and left my family there. You can do it too for a few years, then go back. You'll have the experience then.
TeAcHeRinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Pam-IL

Pam-IL

Thanks - my reply back
Old 05-14-2006, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

thanks for reading and replying.

I can't move right now - my daughter is in a tough year at school, my mom is nearby - I am the oldest - with huge responsibilities - my Dad passed away and I am dealing with the daily problems.... you know, life.

Private schools - my daughter goes to one - I applied twice - last year and this year to the lower school where there were openings, and was turned down twice - not good enough I was told - not enough experience - just keep the tuition money coming, though!!

Oh, I do want to be a teacher - you have no idea -- it is a passion, a dream and I know I would be the best teacher ever - but I cannot beg or pay schools to hire me. I am not funny looking - maybe a bit chuby - but basically I am a great person, creative, caring, nurturing, community service minded, hard worker, dedicate -- you all the drill..... otherwise we wouldn't be here.
But I even consulted a psych - a very respected, well known one (not a fly by night) and she told me that there is no job for me - I should do something else - she saw me no particular view - but not in a classroom. I did this over the weekend - so even the spirtual world is telling me.

I am soooo discouraged and ashamed and I have been in tears all weekend - frustration, and discouraged but I guess it is not meant to be and maybe being a busboy is my vocation - I really don't know - I just know that I have to work - otherwise if I stay home I will go bonkers!!!

Thanks everyone........... good luck to you.

*Annie*

I'm right behind you
Old 05-14-2006, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Pam,

There is no teaching job for me either- I've been used as a "see we interviewed people - look at the 6 page application she filled out" object over and over and I've run out of money to keep jumping thru hoops. I have a family to feed and it's just a game to these people. I think that's a great idea to leave off your education in your applications to other jobs. I think that is what I will have to do also. Brilliant!! I know exactly how you feel. Exactly. Please be at least alittle comforted by this fact. We deserve better.

P.S. (I think the Job Board should be divided into "got a job" problem type posts and "still looking" ..it's very frustrating to read some of these, I must say)

*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Tounces
Old 05-14-2006, 09:57 AM
This message has been deleted by Tounces.

Tounces

I know
Old 05-14-2006, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

it's hard to find work in the Midwest. I used to live in Iowa and Minnesota. I don't know what part of Illinios you live in but maybe you want to take a look here:

http://www.schoolspring.com/

I wish you the best of luck.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

TeAcHeRinFL

Old 05-14-2006, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What about working as a day care teacher or after-school program director? Atleast it would be steady money, obviously not a teaching salary, but steady work and you'd be working with children instead of dishes. Have you tried applying for teacher asst. or aide jobs also?

My boyfriend and I are both in education and we really feel badly for you. We've been reading your posts. We wish you the best.....I know somewhat of how you feel because I looked for two years also. Fortunately, I was able to move away and get a job.
TeAcHeRinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
sasha2

sasha2

been there..relocation is the answer
Old 05-14-2006, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We are relocating to a Rocky Mt state. We were considering all of them. I starten contacting school districts and pricipals in 3 different states. I recieved tons or repsonses, positive guidance, phone interviews. I was literally having to keep a notebook of contacts and offeres.

I accepted one. I got the state, town, and school district (in one of the best schools) I wanted.

However, in my own bottom of the barrell state, I haven't received an offer. I have seen people with less experience, no impressive resume, and limited references get hired.

I can't figure it out!!

And if you are married with kids, how about a brand new experience for all. We are all going, yeah!!

dorothyw61

Me too!
Old 05-14-2006, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Pam - you are not alone. I am in the exact same situation you are in - except my paperwork doesn't even make it to the rejection pile. I think it just gets tossed into the bit bucket on the computer. I got my MA in education last May. I have been subbing ever since. Last year, I was lucky enough to get 2 interviews, but the jobs went to the cheaper candidates. Illinois has a surplus of teachers. The only way you can get considered for a job is having an in with someone in the district. Like another poster said, I'm not going to beg districts to look at my qualifications. I know I am a good teacher, almost every teacher I sub for requests me to come back. I wish I would have known about getting the necessary certification without getting the Master's degree. Of course the university I went to never mentioned that option. I too have a part time job I hate, but it helps pay the bills, so beggars can't be choosers. Hang in there, our day will come (for me maybe somewhere other than education).
dorothyw61 is offline   Reply With Quote
trishlisa

trishlisa

Jobs
Old 05-14-2006, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

After reading your post I could not but think that you can probably get a job being a social worker. Most jobs require a BA in a related field. Having had experience with students you might be able to get a job as a social worker in the school district. If not, maybe working for the state.
Check also about opportunities doing online tutoring in the content areas where you hold certifications. You could also find a job with a textbook publisher in your area. Hope this helps.

SubforNow

I feel for you
Old 05-15-2006, 03:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hi Pam,

I am so sorry to hear of your frustration. As you can see by looking at the other posts, you are not alone. I have been looking and subbing for two years now. As many have said, it is much easier to find jobs in areas of need.

You sound like you are a wonderful educator. I hope and pray that you will find a way to pursue your dream. Good luck to you!
SubforNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Airen

Airen

Old 05-17-2006, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Pam,

I am so sorry you are having such a difficult time! I wanted to let you and others know about Sylvan Online. I just started last week and LOVE it. The website is www.esylvan.com if you would like to check it out. I filled out the application online, got a call the next day for an interview, and was training the following week. I get paid $10/hr and can work up to 39 hours a week. You might want to look into it! I also teach at a school full-time, but this helps me out since I have just bought a new house. Let me know if you would like any more information on this. I hope things get better for you.

Jenluv2tch

I am feeling the same as all of you
Old 05-18-2006, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Good Morning Educators,
I was reading everyones posts and I feel the same way as all of you. I have been subbing because it is the best way to get your feet into the door. Teachers seem to be calling me back and other teachers from other schools also. If I am great sub, then why can't I find a teaching job? I go on interviews and they seem to go well and I feel good about it afterwards. I don't seem to hear any replies afterwards. I am 33 and I have taught for one year and desire to be in a classroom. What is wrong? I go into the schools everyday and see some people they really don't belong in the field but they are. I see those people and then I think to myself okay I know I can be better than that. What is wrong?
Jenluv2tch is offline   Reply With Quote

*Annie*

more info on esylvan
Old 05-18-2006, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I'm interested in finding out what it's like to do the online tutoring! Here's some questions for you: I'm only certified up to gr. 6..... Do they care if you only want to teach up to certain grades? And do you set your own hours (like, do you tutor kids from all over the country? I'm thinking of the time differences and maybe doing it later at night)? How in depth does the interview go? Thanks so much!
*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote
noname86

noname86

I thought it was just me
Old 05-19-2006, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

that had this problem with finding a job. I am afraid that I am considered the music sub in our school even though I am certified in 2 areas. I can't relocate because of my hubby's job and he doesn't want to move. Frankly, I would move almost anywhere but I have to consider my hubby and kids.
I ,too, have great recommendations/referrals. I had an interview earlier in the year for a long-term sub. I was already long-term subbing in the district but this other long-term was longer and better pay, etc. Well, i didn't get the "longer" long-term but still had my other position. Then I wonder why they are not calling me for interviews. Supposedly they are considering the interview earlier in the year. There were only 3 people in the interview for that long-term sub position and all the interviews now are for other positions that would include different people in the interview. Am i making any sense? Plus I think the interview stunk!
I have always been reliable for subbing but now I am worried that that is what I will always be; the one who is a reliable sub "so let's keep her as a sub, we need them".
And I feel embarrassed and ashamed to have to go in subbing next school year when I know there are student teachers who are now full-time in the district and I didn't make it. But I guess that is pride or ego or whatever and I have to put that aside and remember that even if I am "just a sub" I can still make a difference in a child's life.
I feel everyone's pain here.