The Job Search

diversity questions

>

ajmiller

ajmiller

diversity questions
Old 07-09-2008, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

At every interview that I've completed recently I've been asked quite a few questions about diverse families, diverse students, etc. I've been asked "how I would handle diversity", what types of things I would do to incorporate diversity in the classroom, etc. I've moved around quite a bit and have lived in states/counties with very diverse populations. It's always been a natural part of life for me and I can't think of great answers for these questions. Any ideas?

tbell0407

diversity
Old 07-09-2008, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

this can mean a lot. You can have cultural and racial diversity and diversity in learning styles. Here is what I would say.
  • making all parents feel welcome (newsletters translated into other languages is an example)
  • having a classroom library that reflects my students
  • sharing read a louds with the class that are diverse (examples: The Name Jar, I love my Hair,)
  • providing posters that reflect my students
  • a willingness to attend workshops to help be more cultually competent
  • hispanic heritage month, black history month (I do one paragraph biographies and then post on a big calendar in the hall)
These are a few off the top of my head. If I thing of something else I'll post again.
tbell0407 is offline   Reply With Quote

K-T

diversity
Old 07-10-2008, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've said that diversity comes in many forms. There is diversity in cultural backgrounds, learning abilities, prior knowledge, socio-economic status, language. I team students in diverse groups and change groups often to highlight everyone's strengths. I have experience working in culturally diverse classrooms, for example...
K-T is offline   Reply With Quote