The Job Search

money problems

>

Kannete

Kannete

money problems
Old 07-11-2008, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, me and my husband are having huge money problems. I am considering taking a parttime job in addition to my teaching job. Am I crazy? I was offered a 3 day a week job, but it is at night and I would not be home until 11pm. Does anyone else do this? I really can use the money. I've checked out tutoring jobs and I just can't seem to get any assignemts.

leslier

money
Old 07-11-2008, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I totally understand your predicament. This past year I did some homebound teaching 5hrs./wk at $35/hr. That was helpful, but can be stressful. I know several teachers who have part time jobs. If you don't have kids and your husband is really supportive, it could work. I know a 2nd grade teacher who is a manager at a Starbucks a few nights a week and some weekends. She was able to buy herself a car with that help.
I think we need to figure out how promote better pay so that teachers can be financially secure. I am also looking for a part time job and am considering a career change.
leslier is offline   Reply With Quote

Speced9

I feel your pain
Old 07-11-2008, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When my late wife and I started out, I had two jobs. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to get a job with the Boys and Girls Club each night after school. I'd leave school at 3:45 and get to the BG Club by 4:00, then I'd work until 6:00. The beauty of that situation was that they paid me at curriculum rate. Working five days a week, I could pull in an extra $300 every two weeks which was just as much as I could make working many more hours someplace else.

If you have a Sylvan Learning Center, or something like it in your area, you should look into them. I know they pay higher than minimum and the hours are reasonable. I was looking into them when I got the BGC job.

Good luck to you.
Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bernski

Old 07-11-2008, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I hear ya...
I tried to get a part time job for summer since I wasn't working summer school. I applied to a few places, one being a tutoring center. No one hired me!

I am going to wait and see how the school year starts and if I can squeeze in a part time job, I will apply again.
Bernski is offline   Reply With Quote

Bernski

Old 07-11-2008, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I hear of people "working from home" but haven't been able to find anything like that.

Bernski is offline   Reply With Quote

KAS112

working from home
Old 07-11-2008, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This was a topic on GMA a couple of weeks ago. Here is the link to the story and possible places to work.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/TakeContro...ory?id=2621388

On a side note I worked in a restaurant for my first couple of years and I did work nights. It is hard after working at school all day, but it's only 3 days so maybe you could try it and see how it works. The hardest thing for me, and what made me eventually leave were the hours - I often ended up working the closing shift on the weekends which meant I was there until 3 am - and that is hard especially on Friday after working all day. Another thing to think about is whether or not you'll have time to yourself. I know you need the money, but not having free time is going to be very hard so be sure to have 1 day where you aren't required to be at work.
KAS112 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceK

Old 07-11-2008, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Many of my coworkers wait tables on the weekends/some nights, or work for airlines. It is super common by me to have more than one job. I don't, simply because I would pay all of my 2nd job earnings (and then some) paying for childcare.

Good luck deciding! if the pay is good, I would try it out. If it is too stressful, then stop.
GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote

Krielyteacher

Tutor
Old 07-11-2008, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Tutor kids after school. Post flyers around your school and send an email out to teachers letting them know you are available. Many parents want theri kids tutored by a certified teacher.
I tutor 3 kids MWF every week for one hour at school right after the bell rings. Each kid pays 25-35 dollars and hour CASH!(no taxes taken out) Sometimes I will take extras on T and TH for the same amount. Some weeks I can make up to $400 extra cash a week!
Krielyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

JMonk

Second job - yes
Old 07-12-2008, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have worked a second job a few times when I have taught in the past. I tutor now, part time. I would wait until the school year starts up, and you might be able to land a tutoring job. The pay is fantastic and you still get to work with kids.

Just remember, sacrifice now for later....
JMonk is offline   Reply With Quote