Help

The Job Search

Why won't anyone hire me????

>

newbieteach

Why won't anyone hire me????
Old 05-31-2006, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all! I am new here. Just found this website. I am currently looking for an elementary teaching position in Kentucky. I graduated in December and I hope that I can get a job for the fall. I have sent out my applications to the counties within 1 hour of where I live. I then called each district and made sure that they received my application. I then was going to go visit the schools and introduce myself to the principals. Well this didn't work out too good....every school that I went to there was no one there (school is out here.) So I decided to send an introduction letter and a copy of my digital portfolio to each principal at each school I am applying for. Is there anything else that you all can recommend me doing? I want to do everything possible to give me a chance. Any suggestions that you have would be great!! Thanks for the help!

Anne Marie

newbieteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tish

maybe this would work.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I moved from one district to another over the summer. I did not have a job lined up. I went to the county office of this district and said that i would volunteer my time in one of the gifted classes that they taught over the summer. Since science was my strong subject, I taught a unit on the space shuttle to a group of elementary student. I ended the unit by blasting off a space shuttle from the playground. People from the county office came to 2 of my classes plus the blast off. I was offered a contract the following day. Sometimes you just have to sell yourself like a product.
tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Pam-IL

Pam-IL

You are not alone
Old 05-31-2006, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi

If you read the posts, you will see that you are not alone in a job search. I have tried all that you have done. Resume packets, networking, calling in favors, even sending packets to principals listed under districts -- anything to get my name on there.

Today, I was thinking about Monster.com or Yahoo.jobs - anything.I have let everyone I know that I am looking and don't laugh, but I even consulted a psyhic for guidance. However, no good news from the fates for me it seems.

You just have to try - spif up your resume and cover letter and stay in touch with this web site. Read the posts, maybe something will inspire you. Good luck and let us know how things are going.
YHG311

YHG311

Old 05-31-2006, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ultimately, it's "location, location, location." Go to where the jobs are. I know this isn't an option for everyone, but it all depends on how badly you want to be a teacher. I don't know the situation in Kentucky, but from what I read/hear, everywhere outside the Sun Belt has few teaching positions. Luckily, I was hired, but I know that if I were living in Illinois or Utah (and not teacher-starved FL), then I would have had no chance of getting a job.
My advice is to make sure you stand out. The more you stand out, the better the chance of getting an interview.

superteach113

Old 05-31-2006, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've sent my resume to at least 20 schools in Wake County, NC. Haven't heard from anyone! And they are in need of teachers!

I too went to some schools to hand deliver resumes and talk to principals. This was in April. But not one principal was availabe to talk with me. Now I just watch the job search page and send my resume and pray someone calls!

I was unable to atten their job fair, so I guess that was one strike against me.

superteach113 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Bee

I was not impressed with the job fair
Old 05-31-2006, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well... don't feel bad about missing a job fair. I only went to one and vowed I would never do it again. I was there 3 hours and only spoke with two schools. One of the schools asked me the few standard questions (ex: what was the best lesson, describe classroom mgmt, etc.) and the other only asked me one question (describe your ideal class) and then proceeded to tell me that it was my turn to ask him questions.

Here's the interesting part, you could tell all the 'new' teachers because they were in traditional inteviewing clothes. Then all the teachers that already had jobs came dressed as if they were in their classrooms.

It was bizarre. After the 3 hours my friend and I decided to chuck it all and go get Mexican food and relax, so we did.
Mrs. Bee is offline   Reply With Quote

newbieteach

Old 06-01-2006, 03:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My college didn't have a job fair when I graduated. I graduated in December and they only have one in the spring. Yeah that stinks for me. Oh well. I just hope I hear something soon....this is driving me crazy.
About the moving thing there is a little problem with that. I am from Maryland but got my undergrad in Kentucky. Since I graduated in Kentucky I have to do my intern year in Kentucky in order to get my certificate. I wanted to look for jobs in MD, VA, PA, and WV but I won't get hired there because I don't have a teaching certificate, I only have a statement of eligibility. So I'm kinda stuck here. I guess I could have looked all over the state but I don't see the point of moving for one year knowing I will be moving at the end of the year. My situation just stinks.
sueteach1

sueteach1

Make it your job to get a job!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As a teacher with 10+ years of experience in VA and IL (currently), I have gone through the hiring process/move successfully and learned from those around me. I suggest the following:
- visit the internet sites of all of the neighborhood school systems in your desired areas; get the mailing address, principal/vp names and a few important details from their "mission statement." Write the best cover letter possible, including a few details from what you learn from their mission statement. Be VERY clear about your dedication to learning and find a supervisor from your school program to give your resume and cover letter a once-over to make sure that it is the best it can be, attention-getting without being trite...etc.
- put together your mailing (color collage of you and your student teaching experiences, lessons, etc.), cover letter, resume and several letters of recommendation
-send these out to the principals at the schools so that they can get them as soon as they come back to work in July
-make your own website with your online prof. portfolio
This WILL work if you make it your full-time "job" over the next month or so. Also, consider going 2-3 hours away if you have to stay in KY. Be reading about interview tips while you wait and make sure that you are really hitting the job fairs. Some may be lame, but those questions make us better able to handle the answers. You'll perform better each time. Good luck.

janet7

Old 06-06-2006, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hello,

Just joined. I was feeling down today and saw your message. I too live in Kentucky and am looking for a job. I was hired for the 2004-2005 year and absolutely loved teaching. I was very disappointed not to be rehired. To be quite honest, my principal was a real jerk...I know that doesn't sound very professional but it is true. Anyway, I have been calling and looking for the past year and haven't had even one interview. I need to work so I am probably going to have to find some other type of work. Hope things go better for you but I sure understand how hard it is when you are looking.
janet7 is offline   Reply With Quote

newbieteach

Old 06-10-2006, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What part of Kentucky are you in? I really didn't think it would be that hard to get a position here. I have applied for 57 positions so far and I have had one interview. I just don't know what else to do but sit and wait. I am working two part time jobs and it seems like I work my buns off and still never have any money. Sometimes it makes me wonder why I spent so much money and time on a degree. Oh well, hope all is well with everyone elses search.

janet7

Old 06-11-2006, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I live in the southeastern region. I so understand what you mean about the time and money spent. Where are you located?

newbieteach

Old 06-12-2006, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I live in eastern Kentucky, close to Lexington. I always thought that there were a lot of schools in eastern Kentucky that needed teachers. That is what I have always been told. Guess not...

janet7

Old 06-12-2006, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

There are quite a few positions...but not nearly enough to employ all of the teaching candidates. I hope you find something soon.

newbieteach

Old 06-16-2006, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Well it's now the middle of June and I am still here with no job. I have only had one interview and haven't heard anything about it. I have applied for over 60 positions now and I am getting really depressed. I am starting to hear about people that I graduated with that have gotten positions and that makes me feel even worse. I start to think to myself...what do they have that I don't? I just don't understand. I don't know what I am going to do if I can't get a job. I can't support myself on walmart pay. Man I hate this!!!

Last edited by newbieteach; 06-16-2006 at 06:58 PM..

evanilsson

Me too
Old 06-18-2006, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Hi Anne Marie!
I know exactly how you feel. Have you also felt "why am I sitting here", or "why did I even go out here"? Administrators usually donít like to be surprised with a visit. It is good that you sent out your information, as long as it is "user friendly" Because no one takes the time to view it.
I am an art teacher. I have a background in graphic design. I learned that you have 20 seconds to catch the eye of a client (principal). If it takes more than that, you're out, no matter how wonderful the rest of your cover letter is. Make sure it is an eye catcher in an appropriate way. Use bullets instead of heavy blocks. Keep it short. All together not more than 4 pages. The rest you can tell them at the interview.

If it takes a while for you to land your job - volunteer and participate at events at schools you would like to work at. The administrators will notice you. Take professional development classes at the districts. Make people remember you name and enthusiasm. Learn to know the "people at the top", because they can later write you a letter of recommendation. Add some statements from students or parents. Maybe you are involved in community service, let hem know. This will show the employer that you care.
You might also want to add more classes to your degree. It is always good to keep your brain going, while in the stress of finding a job. Ask me how I know!
I wish you all the best. Hope that this will be a help to you.
Eva
evanilsson is offline   Reply With Quote

evanilsson

Yes
Old 06-18-2006, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hi Pam,
I like your posting. I kind of read the board backwards. i am one of those that have asked myself many times if my education was in vain. But- even though I still look for the "hit", I have to say, my degree was good for me. It is really true, you need to get your name out there. Participating in activities, serve your fellow man (woman), try to stay positive. (I know, it is SOOO hard!)
But - my faith is - you don't get more trials than you can handle, and if you get an urge to do something, and it seems to hard, there will be a way to do it, you will get the help you need. Heavenly Father wants you to be happy and successfull. We are here to have joy. Education is never wrong, ever. Reach for the stars, it is always good to have a goal.
Eva
bbaut036

bbaut036

eh
Old 08-10-2006, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I completely understand. I graduated back in december and I have had 2 long term teaching experiences under my belt since then. I have had 13 interviews so far I've been in the top 3 in most of them, but no cigar. It's extremely frustrating and the name of the game seems to be experience. I have another interview coming up but you have to treat it as your first. Things might not work out as you plan and you will have to put your life on hold but if you want it bad enough, good luck will come your way.

evanilsson

My wait is over
Old 08-10-2006, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi,
after all this struggle, unemployed for over 1,5 years, I got a job! At first I was not that exited, because it is not what I was shooting for. But it sunk in, and now I am sooo happy about it, and also scared. The next weekend will be spent in my bedroom, sorting and organizing. Because my room looks like a storage, a school storage. See, it is creaping up on me, the school world. I share bed with the curriculum. My bedroom smells like a library. Hahaha. How scared I am, will I get fired already the first week of school?
got

got

What to do
Old 09-06-2006, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

In hard to find job states, like mine, I always recommend that you begin by subbing at the schools you are interested in getting hired at. Also there are many opportunities like after school programs and tutoring that you can get into. This will give you the exposure and opportunity to get to know the staff at a particular site.

When I was a teacher, all of us at one grade level used the same two subs. The next year both got teaching positions via our recommendations. Unfortunately, now that I am at the district level I can tell you that you need to get to know some teachers so that they can attest to your ability to teach effectively. There is always a need for teachers, but you have to get yourself in there an prove it. Subbing isn't always fun, but if you are a good teacher it will take you a LONG way.

Good Luck
Julie Renner

Julie Renner

Old 04-27-2007, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

If you go to the Kentucky State Board of Education , you can view all posted listings in the state and personally contact the principal or hiring contact fo r the positions you would like to apply. Good luck. It also greatlt helps if you know someone personally. If you are up to trying a little different route, try the private and Chriastian or Catholic schools in your area. They do not pay as much but are generally in need of qualifed teachers!