Help

The Job Search

subbing advice needed

>

dreamjob

subbing advice needed
Old 07-13-2008, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well, it is looking like subbing for me in the fall. I need a strategy. I found a couple of new districts I want to try. I was thinking of concentrating on the schools that have older teachers with the hopes of them retiring the following year. I don't have a strategy yet and could use advice. I feel I wasted a long term sub position only to get two interviews and the principal to tell me the job opening was not right for me and she did not refer me to any other principals so to me I have no lead over anyone else. I have to start all over. I just don't have time to waste, as I am a single mom and my ex is growing impatient for me to get a job. What is the best advice at subbing, stay in one ditrict , do a number of districts, I am just dumbfounded about this. And I did work for ten years prior to having my children. I could use some help!

dreamjob is offline   Reply With Quote

glopomyk

Same here..
Old 07-13-2008, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I could go back to the aide position I had last year, but I am thinking that subbing would get my name and face out in different districts and hopefully give me a better chance of getting a job. I am thinking that in the beginning I will sub at as many districts as possible, then slowly become more choosy as time goes on. I know that the district in my neighborhood is short on subs, so they could probably keep me busy all year long! Lots of districts hire subs so I hope this is a good move for both of us.

Good luck dreamjob!
glopomyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Elise82

My Advice
Old 07-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Instead of searching out schools with older staff, you might get friendly with the pregnant teachers! (That is, if you would like to get another LTS job.) Depending on what level you like best/areas you are most qualified to teach, I would try to take most jobs in line with that. Then, leave great messages for the teacher along with a business card (or at least your phone #, e-mail address, sub # etc. - make it easy for them to contact you). In the beginning of last year, I was the first sub for a Kinder class. The teacher liked how I worked with her class, so she kept requesting me. I think if I'd stayed as a sub (I got a permanent non-teaching job because I really needed a steady job! But I am looking again...) and kept subbing for her, I would have been able to use her as a reference and *maybe* that would have been my "in" for a permanent job in that district. So, in lieu of a LTS job, I would try to keep getting requested by one or more teachers and then eventually you could ask them for a letter of reference. You would also be more comfortable in the school and in one particular class and you could invite/request the principal to come and observe you.

As far as the number of districts you sub in, I think I would try at least two to start out in (I only did one large one, thinking that would enable me to work full-time, but it didn't - too many subs, I guess! ) I think it also depends on the method the district uses to get subs - are you able to line up your own jobs, or must you wait for sub caller? I really like the online method because you can pick and choose, but you have to be fast on the "trigger finger" and also be willing to get up at 5 or 6 am to find work!
Elise82 is offline   Reply With Quote