Help

The Job Search

Help me stand out!

>

Skyler0392

Help me stand out!
Old 07-13-2008, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

OK, I am going for my FIRST public school (pre) interview tomorrow. The principal told me that 97 people applied. Basically, they are pre-interviewing around 20 people for 20 minutes.

The job is for a fine arts teacher. I was a fine arts minor in college, so I feel like I have a lot to offer. I was planning on bringing a couple of pieces of artwork, but I just realized that I left my art at my parent's home. It has been about one year since student teaching, but I am not very crazy about my portfolio. I plan on bringing a couple of reccomendation letters from the day care I just left. Can you think of anything that I can do, say, or bring, to make myself stand out. What questions should I prepare myself for?

I need some help from experienced teachers!

Skyler0392 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachKids853

Skyler0392:
Old 07-13-2008, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Since your art work is at your parents house is there any way that your parents can take a picture of the pieces of art and email them to you (then you can print them out)?! If you can't have the actual art maybe a picture is the next best thing?!
TeachKids853 is offline   Reply With Quote

christina4062

My principal is impressed by...
Old 07-13-2008, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

people who give information about themselves on a CD-Rom.

Last year, we needed to hire a 1st grade teacher and my principal got a letter and CD "portfolio" from a candidate. She called that person for an interview and, being in a rural county with not a lot of technology, two school had already offered her a job.

We didn't end up hiring her because she was mulling over other offers, but my principal was impressed by the CD!

Would you have any way to make a PowerPoint about yourself, including some pics of your artwork, to leave with the committee after you interview?

Good luck!

Christina
http://www.teacherweb.com/mi/central.../mrsbainbridge
christina4062 is offline   Reply With Quote

3grteacher

Could you make something???
Old 07-13-2008, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Like an example of something you might teach to the students??? You could outline the lesson as you explain what you made.

I know it's late, but I would think it would be cool if someone brought it a art project to the interview.

Not sure what grade.....but

A quick one our art teacher did with our students was:

A large sheet of black paper. Draw a picture with glue and let it dry. Then take pastels and fill in the picture. They turned out amazing. She had the kids do pictures of space scenes since we were studying space.
3grteacher is offline   Reply With Quote