The Job Search

Getting a job in Texas

>

frustrated!

frustrated!

Getting a job in Texas
Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Texas seems like the most competitive state to get a job, especially if you are certified in early childhood as opposed to a high needs speciality such as math, science, or bilingual.

I have had the most awful time with job hunting. I wanted to get a public school teaching job, but had no luck so I'm staying at my current part-time job at a private school which isn't even enough to live off of. Luckily I'm married and we're not dependent on my salary.

I am EC-4 certified. Graduated a few years ago but have no public school teaching experience other than student teaching which was several years ago. I've worked as a preschool teachers assistant at a private school with 3-5 year olds. But I don't think school districts really look at my job at the private school as actual teaching experience. I think they see it as more as a childcare job. They want to see public school teaching experience. But how do I get experience if nobody will hire me.

I know it also must have to do with the district I live in and want to teach in. I live in Katy(suburb of Houston) and I've heard that its extremely hard to get into that district without experience.

Anyone know how to get hired in Katy if you don't have public school teaching experience? I want to teach there so badly, as my daughter who is 3 will eventually go to a Katy ISD school and I would love to teach in the same district where my daughter will go to school in.

vickia

Post on other PT boards too
Old 07-15-2008, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just thought if you posted on one or more of the other boards here at PT you might find someone who could get you connected. Have you applied for any teacher assistant positions at Katy? Before moving here so I could finish my degree I was a teacher's assistant in Spring Branch (Houston area too) My principal was very encouraging when I expressed that I wanted to go back to school (at the young age of 50). She told me she would have a position for me when I graduated. We decided to stay here - New Waverly, TX. So I didn't take her up on her offer. Sometimes it's a matter of getting into the school district in some capacity.

Start by posting your need on the Teachers Lounge and the K-3 board and see if you get some help. I know there are teachers from Katy on other boards.

I worked in private schools, teaching preschool and I always listed them as experience on my applications and resume. I know that it made a difference in my confidence during the interviews and principals do recognize the experience, especially if you refer to it during the interview.

Of course, schools would prefer someone with experience, but not everyone who applies and gets hired has experience. Your experience in child care would be better then someone who had never worked with children before. Flaunt your strengths!!

Well, I am long winded. (:

Keep you chin up. Easier said then done I know.

Vicki
vickia is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Ec-4
Old 07-15-2008, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

is the cert that most teachers have - consider going back and getting a 4-8 cert also - it may not be your first choice, but it could at least get your foot in the door.

When I first started teaching I didn't want anything but second or third - but it was a month before school started, I was a single parent, and I'd just relocated and I was offered a sixth grade position. I took it thinking I would just move down when the opportunity arose - and ended up loving it and teaching sixth grade for 8 years before I finally moved down.

Also, make sure you have your ESL endorsement - even if you don't have bilingual - our district will not even interview teachers who do not have ESL.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Wise1

Sounds like me
Old 07-16-2008, 01:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was pretty much in the same situation up until about 3 months ago. I had been teaching at a private pre-school and it seemed that most principals didn't care about that. I kept at it for a yr and was finally offered a position in a public school. Katy is very difficult to get into especially if you don't have yrs of public school exp. under your belt or know someone on the inside. There are tons of Tx teachers and several teaching in Katy on this board, you may want to post this on the Busyboard.
Wise1 is offline   Reply With Quote

AMDucky

I'm a 1st yr tchr in KISD!
Old 07-16-2008, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm a 1st yr tchr in KISD! I start this year! I did my student tching way back in 2003 in SA. I could not find a job when I started looking 1.5 yrs ago, as my son was already in 1st grade. I started subbing in KISD and CFISD 2 yrs ago, just to get my foot in the door! I did a Long term Maternity leave this past Spring and Bam! I was offered a job 2 wks into my LT (for the upcoming 2008-09). My dept chair liked how I worked and handled the kids. I didn't even have to interview! The interview w/ the principal was more of a series of ?'s, like am I interested? am I available? Then will I do 9th grade Eng? I wasn't at a time in my career to barter grades, so I took whatever they offered! (I am HS anyway!)

If you were at a private school - then I would suggest subbing to get your foot in the door! Take a Long Term MAternity leave - I suggested to actually seek out the Prego's to see if you can do their LT, some teachers may have someone in mind, but if they are new- then they don't know anyone yet! I was just at a trng today amd several new hires are pregnant and just not really showing yet! They will need LT's in Jan! KISD is always building new schools! Subbing in KISD pays $80 a day! Isn't this comparable to your private school salary?

Also - keep checking the website. If a school is still needing to fill its needs, it will be posted. I suggest taking your resume to the school and leaving it for the Principal in person. I had also heard that it is a very hard district to get into to. They like familiar faces, so I highly suggest subbing! I know it's not teaching your own class but if you get a LT job (over 25days) then you get 1st yr teacher salary daily rate ($250). You may also look into taking a Teachers Aid job for the 1st yr - this also pays approx $80/day! I know b/c I looked into all the options myself!!!

Good Luck! and PM me if you have any questions!

AMDucky is offline   Reply With Quote

ccmom0203

Special Education Certification
Old 07-16-2008, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't know about the Katy area- but in the Abilene area we are going to inclusion. Which means those teachers with a special education certification on top of general ed. tend to really stand out. Just a thought!

And remember (as I am also hoping) the busy hiring time really just got started. It seems all schools are procrastinators!!!!

Best of luck to you!
ccmom0203 is offline   Reply With Quote

SunshneTeach

Subbing?
Old 07-16-2008, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Here in IL we are very competitive as well. It seems as though IL produces more educators than they are able to hire. (At least thats how it feels when looking for a job, and the people I just graduated with...we all have dual certifications (Gen. Ed. and Special Ed.)). I had also looked into moving to Texas to teach, however after sending out resumes and filling out online applications for the whole region of Austin and part of San Antonio, I was very thankful to have found a job. You would think we would all be offered positions ASAP, which hasn't been the case for many of us.

Anyways, I do know that many times subs are hired contractually, and are able to sub in a particular school or school district.

Just a thought, and might be worth looking into so you can at least get your foot into the door.

Good Luck!
J
SunshneTeach is offline   Reply With Quote