Working while you're waiting to teach??? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Working while you're waiting to teach???

>

mstainb

Working while you're waiting to teach???
Old 07-17-2008, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just curious what everyone is doing while looking for a teaching position?? (if you are not currently teaching) Does anything pay remotely close?

I have a couple interested in me as a nanny. I would consider it for this year, but I don't think they are willing to pay enough.

mstainb is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 07-17-2008, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

if you are currently looking for a job and don't know if you will be in a full time position next year, you should really apply to be a per diem substitute in some of the districts nearby.

i don't know where you are from, but around here most schools hire from their substitutes because they already know them. it is a good opportunity to get go know as many principals as possible.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

ccmom0203

Paraprofessional
Old 07-17-2008, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A few of my friends first took jobs as para's while waiting for positions to open up. When positions finally opened, they got the teaching position- and the para position was not too difficult for them to fill.

Granted, the pay isn't great- but it is something??????
ccmom0203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Elise82

Depends
Old 07-17-2008, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you can afford to work as a sub (and take the chance that you may not work full days every day) or as an instructional assistant/aide, then I would go either of those routes in hopes of having an "in" for the next year (or even later in the year) in your desired district. I couldn't afford those options anymore because it was not bringing in enough income for me. And I was tired of being broke!

If I do not get a teaching job at one of the private schools I've applied at (haven't even tried at the public ones this year, as I know that the competition to get in is even more fierce than it used to be!), I will probably take a full-time nanny job. In my area (Seattle), nannies can make really good money. I have a friend who watches two small kids and makes $21/hr.! Granted, she has been doing this for over 15 years, but still...even beginning ones with a degree can expect to make at least $16-18/hr. around here. (That's what the agencies say, at least...) I wouldn't do it for less, and ideally I would want to have at least one 5+ child in the family. Oh, and I would only work a max of 45 hrs. a week. At 50 hours/wk you burn out fast!! (Been there, done that.)
Elise82 is offline   Reply With Quote

ccmom0203

Wow!
Old 07-18-2008, 02:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If I could find a nanny job for $21 a hour- I would consider hanging up my teaching career!!!

ccmom0203 is offline   Reply With Quote