Help

The Job Search

Late July- How do I stay positive?

>

KGRUBER

Late July- How do I stay positive?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been on several interviews this summer, it always is the same thing...needed more experience- needed some one to coach boys...too much experience (expensive) ...wrong license...and so on. Well I am looking for advice to help with the last few interviews before the school year starts. What would WOW your socks off? I have an awesome portfolio. Recommemdations yes... even administrators. No Electronic portfolio, if you have a website to guide me through the change over, bring them on. HELP, I need to get an offer. Oh yea that's right don't sound desperate. On last thing I am not a fresh out of collegekind of gal.

KGRUBER is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher.kate

I'm with you
Old 07-18-2008, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am in a similar position. I NEED a job for the fall. I have not had a single interview since May and now the calls are starting to pour in. From what friends in the field tell me, quite a few openings come up in July and August and a lot of hiring happens right before the start of the year. Just keep at it!

As for an e-portfolio, I am just now finishing up mine. I used Google Pages. It's very easy to use.

Good luck!
teacher.kate is offline   Reply With Quote

KGRUBER

Tell me how
Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Google pages? Are you talking about the Google docs? I would love any ideas or SAMPLES you could show me. Thanks for the up beat talk.
KGRUBER is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 07-18-2008, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was like you last year. I was offered and accepted my job the week BEFORE teachers started back. I was offered the job on a Wednesday or Thursday, and I started back the following Tuesday. There is still hope! In my district many jobs are posted through August. That's when the final numbers are in, those already in the district are all placed, and they do last minute hiring right before school starts.

As far as portfolios...I don't think electronic is necessary. I have a portfolio from college too, and it was recommended to me NOT to bring it to interviews. What I did instead is gathered a few (just a few!) things I've done that would support me in answering questions. They really don't have a lot of time to look through portfolios. I KNOW that some do (so some people will give that advice), but for the most part, they just don't have time.

Just be confident, make eye contact with everyone, smile...let them know that you want the job, and let them know that they can work with you.

Good luck!
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher.kate

Old 07-18-2008, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I tried to reply earlier, but it didn't show.

Go to googlepages.com. I am going to bring my regular portfolio to my interviews, but also attach a card of some sort to my references with the website to my electronic portfolio. That way if they are interested, they can take thier time and check it out. It was easy to use!

teacher.kate is offline   Reply With Quote