The Job Search

Why am I not getting the job??

>

elepen

Why am I not getting the job??
Old 07-19-2008, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi:

I am been on several face to face and phone interviews. They seem to go well but then I get the phone call or email that they went with another candidate. They even express that is something comes up they will consider me because I am a qualified candidate.

elepen

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

When you get that call
Old 07-19-2008, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that you didn't get the job, ask for feedback on your interview. Most principals will be glad to give you feedback. When I was interviewing, I had an interview at a school that didn't hire me, and when I asked them why, they said that one of my answers sounded a little bit harsh to them (how I would deal with a student--can't remember the hypothetical situation now). Now, I was actually glad I didn't get that job, because I really, really didn't like the atmosphere, the vibe, when I was there. Everyone seemed to be walking on eggshells around the new principal. About halfway through that interview, I knew I didn't want that job. I was actually worried that they would offer it to me, and I would have taken it because I was a brand new teacher and would have jumped at anything.

But--I asked for feedback on the interview, because I knew I would be coming across a job I DID want. She told me that my answer was a little harsh and while I privately disagreed with her, you know what? My opinion really didn't count. I wasn't the one hiring me. So the next time I went out, I softened that part of my rhetoric, and I got hired.

Ask for feedback. If you're doing something that puts people off, you need to know about it.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 07-19-2008, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thankyou Mary teach you gave me some things to think about.

elepen
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

honeydew

feedback
Old 07-19-2008, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mary, that is something I would never have thought of, but I will do it the next time I don't get a job I feel qualified for. Thanks.
honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote

Mmckie2000

I can't answer your question...
Old 07-19-2008, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

but I can definitely feel your pain. I have had some that I didn't receive a call or email, just a form letter. It's tough but I keep telling myself, what God has for me is FOR ME and I will be where He wants me to be. Like a previous poster said, there may be good reason for you not getting the job.

Mmckie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote