Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Title 1 Reading program

>

booksohio

Title 1 Reading program
Old 07-23-2008, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My son is in the Teach for America program and just found out he is assigned as a Title 1 Reading Teacher and will be working with K-6.

Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Are there specific curriculums that are used such as Reading 180? Any sites that give information on Title 1 Reading programs other then how a student is selected for the program? We are both researching and trying to find out as much as possible. While he is excited about the opportunity to work so closely with students...he is nervous about entering a program he knows so little about. We would love some suggestions as to where to start!

Thank you!

booksohio is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

Title I
Old 07-25-2008, 02:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The purpose of Title I is to supplement the instruction and the curriculum of the regular classroom. If he can find out what that is, he can get an idea. Basically, what I do is get a sense of whether a student needs decoding strategies, word work, comprehension, fluency, vocabulary, or just an attitude adjustment, as in having a bad attitude toward reading and I try to turn that around. Good luck to your son!
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Old 07-25-2008, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Congrats to your son! There is no specific Title I program. Is this a newly created program? Are there other teachers in the program? He needs to know who the Title I director is and meet with other teachers (if there are others) and find out what they've been doing. If it's a newly created program then everyone involved will need to sit down and start from the beginning. Without knowing much more, it's hard to answer your question.

Good luck to him and keep us posted as he gets more information.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

Good for him!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How exciting for both of you!

I am not an expert by any means. This will be my 3rd year as a Title I reading teacher, grades 3-5. The teacher I replaced...her only advice to me was 'You'll figure it out!' So I started 'figuring'!

I called and emailed our state Title office. I found my information off of our state Department of Public Instruction website. For me, it was very helpful...have you tried that? I asked plenty of questions and got some answers and others that were sort of vague for me.

Knowing about reading is fundamental. I needed to brush up on phonics and the steps to teach it well....I knew other areas of reading better. How does your son feel about his knowledge of teaching reading? The internet has a great deal to offer.

I have found that different Title programs within our state do things differently, but within the Federal guidelines. There is no set way. I enjoy that freedom.

Good luck!! Hope this helps.
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

Abbra

I learned to improvise!
Old 07-25-2008, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Check out starfall.com/North Dakota Title 1/ and nzmaths.

Abbra is offline   Reply With Quote

miamimom

Title I Rdg
Old 07-28-2008, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I live in Ohio and as far as I know, each building may set up Title 1 any way they choose as long as certain criteria are met. For example, this coming year, I will be the Title 1 teacher. I will teach Language Arts to one group of second graders from 9:30-12:00 everyday and from 12:45-3:00 I will teach Language Arts to one group of fifth graders. In another building, I know that the Title 1 program is a pull-out program for at risk kids. I guess what I'm trying to say is that each school system uses the position differently.
miamimom is offline   Reply With Quote