Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Presentation Suggestions

>

born2teachuga

Presentation Suggestions
Old 04-22-2015, 06:08 AM

So I'm out of creative juices and this forum always helps me with finding them. I have to present on Saturday to a group of 3 professors my Master's of Education in Literacy portfolio. I'm supposed to present on the two domain areas that I set as my goal areas for what I wanted to work on throughout my graduate program. I'm really dreading this presentation because I feel like I don't know how to present what I haven't already told them in my portfolio. My two domain areas I wanted to work in were collaboration and research. My committee chair doesn't want a Powerpoint or Prezi. He said he wanted something completely unique. I'm listening to my classmates talk about what they're doing and they have such good ideas, but I've got nothing.
One girl made a painting with all of her favorite children's books and selected quotes from each book that fit with each domain from the program (assessment, pedagogy, research, collaboration, leadership, and diversity). Another girl wrote a book about herself. My thoughts were to just pick bottles of wine that I felt truly represented each domain area and my committee chair person is from Romania, so I found a Romanian cheese to add for diversity. That's a joke.
What do you think I could do to complete this presentation?

born2teachuga is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

For the collobration
Old 04-22-2015, 07:27 AM

section could you get pictures of you working with different groups or students. Maybe include some of students working together.

Could you make a patchwork quilt using the two ideas with each quilt block showing a idea you want to cover. You could draw or paint pictures, use photos etc. You could maybe punch holes along
the side and connect them with string or yarn. That's all I've got!
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

Queenie Peavy

An idea....
Old 04-22-2015, 12:21 PM

How about using Microsoft Movie Maker and making a movie? I just took a PowerPoint on images from the Great Depression and turned it into a movie. It was easy and turned out great! If you don't have Movie Maker you can download it for free...
Queenie Peavy is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 04-22-2015, 01:38 PM

What a tough assignment. I know they want you to be creative, but gosh, this is for a master's degree, so what is wrong with a straightforward and academic PowerPoint or prezi? Personally this is the kind of assignment I hate because although I have some creative ideas, they never turn out the way I envision in my head. And they take so much longer for me than just writing an essay or doing a Powerpoint.

Here is a link I love with creative student book report ideas. Maybe one will spark an idea. http://www.ncte.org/library/NCTEFile...J0871Ideas.PDF

My only idea is to create a fake Facebook page. You could have status updates that show how you have developed and posts from fake friends that show research links and responses to the links that show you analyzing the research.

Or since you studied literacy, cover square boxes and make them look like baby blocks. Put the letter A on one side, then other things related to A on the other sides, like assessment, research to do eith something that starts with a, a collaborative activity that starts with a.

Or do it all in haiku.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

born2teachuga

Thanks
Old 04-22-2015, 07:50 PM

I shared the idea with my professor about comparing all of the domains to wines and she got a good chuckle and said if you can make an argument about how each domain is like a certain wine type, go for it. I was like Riesling for Assessment because sometimes assessments can give you sweet information and other times they're just a terrible fruity idea. Then I ran out of other domain comparisons.

Personally this is a ridiculous assignment. My portfolio alone was 125 pages. That should have been enough. I should be able to go in and take a nap and say thanks! I survived!

born2teachuga is offline   Reply With Quote