The VENT

Becoming an admin for pay raise

>

Anon E Mouse

Anon E Mouse

Becoming an admin for pay raise
Old 12-27-2016, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A principal at our neighboring school has decided not to come back after the break. This is her first year as admin and she says the stress and work of the job are too much. She states that she was not prepared for what the job would be. I've heard she was quite the power-hungry type, with a strong affinity for throwing teachers under the bus.

I have to wonder, how many of these awful admin are just burnt out teachers looking for power and a pay raise? I definitely don't think all admin fall in this category, but there seems to be an awful lot of crabby admin out there.

lte's mom

Old 12-27-2016, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a friend who did it for the pay raise. She is great at her job but hates it with a passion! She has come to me in tears just counting the days. She doesn't feel that she has the disposition to deal with parents and all the politics.
Her husband doesn't make enough money so she has to continue with her admin job until he steps up.
lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Many are not burnt out teachers
Old 12-27-2016, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Some have not even gotten their feet wet teaching...maybe a few yrs max. I am amazed by the lack of knowledge some have when it comes to teaching and discipline. Some of the ones I have known were actually more power hungry.I'd have to be extremely desperate though to take an admin job. It is like a middle management job and you have to pass along work to teachers that you probably know is time wasting and meaningless. To be successful, you have to have thick skin and I am guessing many have a lack of conscience. ( Like you said, they will throw it back on teachers or throw them under the bus.) I have worked for some great ones over the years though that were not like that because of a certain ( unique in it's own way) school I was in at a long time. The best ones know if teachers are happy, they will do about anything for you! I think it is the nature of many teachers. IT is sad that many admin have not learned that yet.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

madelyneva

over the years
Old 12-27-2016, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've known many, over many years, who knew they couldn't take being in the classroom for the rest of their careers, but wanted to stay in education, so they went for their admin. certification, counselor certification, or librarian certification. Many of the above would ask me how in the world could I "stand being in the classroom with the kids for so many years." That lets you know their real motive for leaving the classroom. Same goes for the majority of academic coaches (not sport coaches).

Then there's the group who like to "manage" , but couldn't possibly do, themselves, what they are expecting the teachers to do, and lack actual classroom experience to know that their expectations are not reasonable when dealing with actual students.

The best members of admin. have a balance of being sincere about working with children, and have had a large number of years in the classroom, experience with difference grade levels, and are of a reasonable age of maturity where their life experiences can be of a benefit to the faculty, parents and children. I've been lucky to have had this kind of admin. the majority of my teaching career.

Just my opinion.
madelyneva is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 12-28-2016, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There is NO WAY I would want to be an admin.....just way too many meetings, dealing with a school's worth of parents/student behavior issues instead of just a class worth, all those evals you have to do, budgets, working most of the year, etc. etc. There is NOTHING appealing to me in that job. Yes, the pay is more, but all that other stuff would make it not worth it to me. Our last principal about 6 years ago(who had previously retired in another state) was trying to talk a few of us more senior teachers into going for our admin. Cert. Ummmm.... No thank you!

twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Gifted

Old 12-28-2016, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There is no amount of money that could tempt me into even considering that. None.
Gifted is offline   Reply With Quote

Truman'sMom

Ha!
Old 12-28-2016, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

DH is a HS admin. It was always his dream. He got a job in a small district about 30 min. from home. I work in a much larger district in our town. He doesn't really make that much more than I do...and he's gone ALL of the time. He has the stress of dealing with students, parents, and teachers and he must attend many events in the evenings and on weekends. He went gray during his first year (though, that is also the year we got pregnant and had our first child, so that may have contributed). He enjoys his work, but says that sometimes he does miss teaching. He talks the most positively about his job when he has E-learning days and he gets to mentor teachers and work with them. Unfortunately, his job is a LOT of paperwork and dealing with red tape.

Often, I think it would make our lives easier if he was still teaching. Truthfully, he would be home much more to help with our boys and he would be so much less stressed out. With both of us working it really wouldn't lower our combined income that much.
Truman'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

luvinit

Principal Power
Old 12-29-2016, 11:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

i am so glad my current P doesn't fall into the "power hungry" category. She actually sometimes comes through for a walk-through and ends ups joining the class. She even worked with a small group during rotations. She admits that she misses the classroom sometimes. LOVE HER!!
luvinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

I'm a bit cynical
Old 12-30-2016, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Maybe I'm a cynic, but when a colleague talks about taking admin courses or going into admin these days, I'm immediately suspicious. When I worked in a regular public high school, there was no way to be supportive of teachers and get ahead politically. The only way to succeed in admin (unless you wanted to be terminal at Assistant Principal) was to show a willingness to nitpick teachers and their professional practice, to keep parents happy (often by undermining / overruling teachers), to become full-throated cheerleaders for whatever "flavor of the week" policy or model was being foisted on schools. There was a time when "principal" still meant "principal teacher" and admins saw themselves as colleagues who also managed student discipline and the budget. Now, the job of admin (in many districts) seems to be to manage and discipline the teachers rather than the students. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why any teacher with respect for his or her profession / colleagues would go that route. But maybe it's not like that everywhere in the country. I'm sure things vary from state to state and from district to district.

What drives me batty is when people go into admin and completely change their personalities or become "Do as I say, not as I do" admins. I've known recent admins who lecture teachers about keeping their tempers in check and being kinder and more diplomatic with students and parents, but who had reputations for being short-tempered and inflexible in their own classrooms.

I've also known admins who would have laughed and rolled their eyes when they were classroom teachers at some of the PD, but who suddenly act like born-again enthusiasts when they are the ones delivering the PD. Were you pretending not to like it then or are you pretending to love it now? Either way, if admin is making you inauthentic, don't do it. It's not worth selling your dignity for a bit more money to bump you into a higher tax bracket (the only who wins then is Uncle Sam).

I've also known new admins who act as though they think they are God's gift to education by virtue of their appointment. They assume they are automatically more knowledgeable and competent than the teachers they work with. It never seems to occur to them that many of the staff know as much as they do. Many certainly could be qualified, and even competent, admins; they just haven't gone that route. I also can't stand the admins who act like changing roles has resulted in some major professional epiphany. "Oh... now I get it! You teachers complain, but you don't understand! Until you've seen things from this side of the desk, you don't know how hard it is to run a school! You don't see just how annoying and whiny you teachers really are until you've stepped into my shoes! There are good reasons for us admins to be so hard on you! Maybe the parents really do have a point about how difficult and unhelpful you people are! I never realized until I started this job!"
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr.L

I am hoping to move to Admin.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have an interview next weekend to become the Principal of my K-12 school. I have taught for 15 years, subbed for 4 years prior to that. I have taught all subjects/grades 3-8. I am not a power hungry teacher sell-out. I actually love working with the kids but I also love working with teachers just as much. I have served as the new teacher induction program chair person for 8 years and I love working with new teachers. They teach me so much and I hope that I also teach them just as much. To be honest, the increase in pay is not my motivator (as a matter of fact, the daily rate of pay is less than what I make as a teacher- the difference is, Principals work a 260-day contract instead of 181-day teacher contract). I know the job will be stressful, and time will different. I hope that more teachers feel the urge to move to administration so that good, strong teachers can help lead the schools of the future.

Mr.L is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

well said Mr. L.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

That is the type we need......A family member is an AP and makes less hourly than teaching. We need effective people in both positions! Good luck.
teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 12-31-2016, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm glad I saw this thread. I was thinking it was just the area that I lived in. I have met many principals over the years and the majority have been insecure women who are clueless about teaching and just want to feel powerful. So far I have only met two male principals. One was amazing and the other was a perverted unprofessional creep. Good principals are a rare find.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote