Help

The VENT

Aide

>

elmo33

Aide
Old 05-30-2017, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an aide who wants to leave so I will probably get a new one.. does anyone else try to become friends with your aide?

elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-30-2017, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Because we live in each other's pockets 8 hours a day, 9 months a year, I like to have a friendly relationship with mine.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Abbigal

keep it professional
Old 05-30-2017, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Friendly, respectful, professional... can't go wrong with that.
If a problem occurs, you will be glad you kept it professional.
Abbigal is offline   Reply With Quote

Iamadreamer

Sort of...
Old 05-30-2017, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like her enough to text and get dinner now and then. She's a good aide. Nothing wrong with being friendly. I'll have a second aide next year. That should be interesting.
Iamadreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I am 100% w/ Abbigail..
Old 05-30-2017, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

you can't go wrong w/that. I am not sure though..is she leaving the school? If yes, and I liked and trusted her, I would keep the friendship if it had already developed. Trust is key to me though!

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Friends with some
Old 05-30-2017, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am still good friends with an aide of mine from 5 years ago. I'm good friends with one of my aides and have started to become friends with my second aide who was new this year. I'm always respectful and friendly, but only become friends with those that I truly have things in common with.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Why not?
Old 05-31-2017, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I can't imagine working with someone every day, and not being friends. We invite our aides when we go out to lunch or have a get together. We work side-by-side every day. Our goals are the same. Why wouldn't we be friends?
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Usually
Old 05-31-2017, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't always have aides every year. However, when I do have a student who has an aide, I like for them to feel like part of the class. During class discussions, they are always welcome to chime in and share. Usually, our aides are a bit older than me and usually great people. I really try to make everyone in my room as comfortable as possible. Since our aides go to lunch with their student, we don't share a lunch time.

I know that teachers have become tight friends with aides who work all day in their room.

Now, I have a friend in another school who works with several aides. She has had to become more "professional" as she had major issues with some of her aides. Basically, she has a series of untrained, low paid aides who don't seem to last long. I feel like in her situation, things are completely different. She does have one aide who she is close with and is friends with outside of school.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 05-31-2017, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Oh yes, I definitely try my best to start on the right food and HOPEFULLY become friends with mine. In the two times I've had one, one didn't work out well and fortunately, I wasn't there much longer to have to endure more.

1st time - I was a brand new special ed teacher...new with special ed teaching AND teaching in general. The small district I worked for didn't have an aide for me at first, then they placed a couple there temporarily. Finally, got a permanent one. She had been working at the dist. for unteen years, so she knew everyone, etc. She was a lot older than me and I'm sure didn't want to listen to this younger, newbie teacher that I was. She was a b!tch, despite my trying to make the best of it. She was friendlier with and talked more with the speech therapist who we also had to share a room with.

2nd time - I had this aide who I got one day every other week since the dist. was short on aides. She was nice, much better than my other. We went to lunch a couple of times. I thought it was going to be great. We talked of getting together outside of work to do something fun, but it never happened. She was a real flake regarding my attempt in trying to be friends...she'd say yes about getting together when we talked about it, but then she'd never bring it up again. Of course I gave up, the end of that year was coming closer, and we just had a regular working relationship, that was it. She had closer friends in the dist. already so she didn't need me as a friend.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

depends
Old 05-31-2017, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I do not also always have an aide, but when I do I am friendly. ?This has gone 1 of two ways-

a. the aide feels like she should be the teacher and acts like a massive b**** and questions my authority

b. the aide is a also friendly and kind and is happy to help in whatever ways I need. She has suggestions and opinions but understands that I am the teacher.

My aide this year was a wonderful lady. I will miss her next year since I am getting a moderate/severe autism push ins who will have a one on one and a mild/moderate autism main streamed student but I am not slated for any other SPED students and she isnt one of the autism paras. She will be missed.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

luvinit

Bi***? MAsped
Old 05-31-2017, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Maybe it had nothing to do with her being an "aide," and wanting to listen to you; might be she was an adult and just did not care to associate with someone who thought of her as a "bi****"! Did you ever tell her how you felt? Just wondering?
luvinit is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Aide
Old 06-01-2017, 02:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would become friends if I felt comfortable with the person. There are many people who I enjoy working with but don't want to have a friendship with. Others are more my type of people, and a friendship can develop. Until you know the new person, you won't be able to figure out if a friendship is possible.

I would be careful about developing a friendship right away with someone you barely know.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 06-01-2017, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have an aide in the room and I wouldn't consider us friends but we are friendly. Last year I had a TA that I was very close friends with. I didn't intentionally become friends with her but we just bonded and became friends almost instantly. I loved working with her. It does make it difficult if you have an issue. I can't imagine having to correct her or something where my aide this year I am a little bit more comfortable due to our relationship.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote