In the hot seat due to someone tattling. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

In the hot seat due to someone tattling.

>

hikinghiker

In the hot seat due to someone tattling.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm the head of a garden committee and I was tasked by the AP (who is heading it) with choosing names, among with the rest of the committee, for a ceremony.

We had students fill out a google response sheet and we were supposed to select off of it. We got to the meeting and we wrote down names, ended up nixing some due to behaviors (would not be able to plant seeds and follow directions) and ended up pulling them out of a hat because we felt like we couldn't use the responses on the google form to choose. Or at least, myself and others felt that we shouldn't use the repossess since they were all similar and there was no criteria for what a good response was.

I met with the AP today and I said we selected them somewhat based off behavior but also read responses (which I had) but that all responses were really similar and didn't really help narrow them down. I did not tell her that we choose from a hat, but I did mention that we randomly selected the rest.

I just got an email from the AP, who CC'd all admin, saying that I we had not actually read responses during the meeting and therefore admin would have to choose the names, and that I need to send her the list. It was a very short and curt email that said I hadn't done the job correctly.

I feel embarrassed that I was called out, because even though I was technically 'in charge' of the meeting, it was a communal decision by other teachers to draw names so that it's fair. Apparently someone must have gone to admin today and mentioned it to them. Also though, I stand by the decision to not use responses, since there was no "pick a kid that says this..." rule. Some said they want to garden because they garden at home, and some said they wanted to learn how to garden. Which one its better? Do we pick the kids who's good at it, or the kid who wants to experience it? Plus, about 70% of the responses said that they want to help the school, with nothing else.

I also mentioned it during the meeting, though it was brief so I could see her forgetting it. I'm already home but I feel angry, embarrassed, and sick at being called out. I want to go drive back to school and let her know that I had mentioned it during the meeting. I sent her a response back that the responses were all bad by myself and others, and that I would send her the final list as well as the rest of the list of names that didn't get chose.

Advice? For both calming down and dealing with this tomorrow.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

AP handled that badly
Old 10-30-2019, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

She should have spoken to you, not sent out a group email. Something to remember about her.

I'd give her the list of names AND the children's responses so she and the rest can read and decide for themselves. I expect they will come to the same conclusions.

I might add that since my service on the committee was judged as incorrect, I am resigning in her favor since she is the official head of the committee. How that might play out over time or if I'd actually have the daring to do that, I can't say. I imagine that being overruled by admin after a group decision would not sit well with the majority of the committee. There will likely be little enthusiasm for the project from most of the group.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-30-2019, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it sucks you were put in charge and then had that authority yanked away. That's ugly.

Quote:
We got to the meeting and we wrote down names, ended up nixing some due to behaviors (would not be able to plant seeds and follow directions)
I will say, the "behavior" kids might need gardening. This might be the thing that gets that behavior in check.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 10-30-2019, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would share the responses spreadsheet with her with a statement saying, "As you can see from the student responses, responses were too similar to be able to use as criteria for participation. This was the reason that the conmittee decided that the most fair way to decide would be by random decision." And I would CC it to all of your committee members so tge tattletale sees you being honest and standing up for yourself.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Responses
Old 10-30-2019, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Unfortunately, she created the spreadsheet so can see everyones responses already.

I wish I had said something more in my email. Instead I just responded that I had read all responses, as had other members, but not all were read during the committee as we choose students. And that I would forward her the names chosen and invitations with no names. Another big reason we chose the draw names was so staff kids didn't automatically get chosen, which usually happens. Sure enough, the AP asked for her daughter to be added to the list.

I wish I would have said something like, "As we discussed during our afternoon meeting, names were omitted due to behavior concerns and the rest were randomly selected." or something. I'm just so upset and I feel like admin are going to think I'm an inept teacher, especially since I just got in trouble a few weeks ago for "bad sub plans" even though they're the sub plans I've used for a year and a half with no other issues.

I feel like I'm constantly on guard from admin and it's making me feel guilty and anxious, like my job is laws at risk and they're talking badly about me. Which they've done about other teachers who had been fired or left the school.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I suspect
Old 11-02-2019, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

that if the AP's daughter had been randomly picked, this would never have been an issue. Lesson learned.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

luvinit

Garden committee
Old 11-03-2019, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I know you have heard the term, "Don't sweat the small stuff." To me, being an effective teacher is way more important that "bad sub plans" and "not choosing names correctly." Sounds like your AP has a lot extra time on her hands. ....and this too shall pass.
luvinit is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 11-03-2019, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Now you know that it probably doesn't matter how you pick or who you pick as long as the AP's child is picked. And my guess is the rest of the students know it too.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote