Help

BusyBoard

Close Reading Question

>

born2teachuga

Close Reading Question
Old 01-20-2014, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm taking my first course for preparations to becoming a reading interventionist and technically I made the mistake of going out of sequence, plus I've been out of the classroom for a while now so this might be why I'm struggling with this particular assignment for grad school. I had to read 2 chapters both discussing measuring a student's reading ability and explaining about readability formulas and how to judge the match between materials and student's abilities. Then I had 2 separate articles that were about Close Reading. I have to take these 2 chapters as well as these 2 articles on close reading, and write a paper about it. The problem I'm having though is I can't figure out how to tie in close reading with a student's reading ability (grade level designations) and their readability (the materials).
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by born2teachuga; 01-20-2014 at 05:14 PM..
born2teachuga is offline   Reply With Quote

jorgefuriouso

Some Suggestions
Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can read some suggestions about Close Reading here that point to the fact that close reading activities can better prepare readers of all levels to tackle difficult texts.

You may also want to make mention of sites such as Newsela that not only allow students to read and interact with text at several different reading levels, but also provide assessment at the chosen reading level.
jorgefuriouso is offline   Reply With Quote