Help

The VENT

Hurt Feelings at Work

>

cruxian

Hurt Feelings at Work
Old 06-07-2017, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our admin is not very good at....leading. She hides in her office and frequently seems overwhelmed with the stresses of her job. She's not bat-sh*t crazy and my dad says employees always complain about bosses so there's that.
Anyway, we had our last "staff meeting" of the year. It involved ice cream, wasting my time and making my coworkers angry. Admin announced the classes in 3-5 who had scored above 85% on state tests. So she recognized one teacher for reading, 4 teachers for math, and 2 for social studies (this is an easy pass often getting 90+% pass rate).
We have 5 and a half days left. I've never seen so many people upset and feeling like their hard work wasn't noticed. Test scores are up in reading and math, hooray!! And yet people are unhappy and wanting to leave because their hard work wasn't recognized if they don't teach in a testing grade or with a testing subject.

cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-07-2017, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hate stuff like that. Although my former P had lots of issues that I won't go into, he typically treated us like a team. If 5 grade performed well, then hurray for K-4, too! No grade/class stands alone. Sorry you had so many upset colleagues.

Quote:
It involved ice cream, wasting my time and making my coworkers angry.
That made me laugh
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Hotbox88

I agree.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No grade stands alone. I don't think it's right to only recognize the teachers who had classes that did well.
Hotbox88 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 06-07-2017, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
It involved ice cream, wasting my time and making my coworkers angry.
We have these kinds of meetings at my big-box home improvement center job. Only it's not test scores but who signed up the most customers for credit cards and product protection plans (extended warranties). Only the top people are recognized by management and they get to get the ice cream first. Then there are the comments that those who didn't get any credit card apps or PPP's shouldn't get ice cream.

I've taken to bringing my own ice cream.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-08-2017, 03:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My P will show test scores and such at staff meetings. It does kind of bother me that pass rates are attached to teacher's names for the whole staff to see...however, he IS pretty good at acknowledging that it's not just the testing grades that matter, but also the lower grades that build the foundation and the SPED/resource teachers.

TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

TexTea

Old 06-08-2017, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If I've heard this phrase once, I've heard it 1000 times, "It takes a village." Pretty sick of it. That's the way to acknowledge everyone who played a part.
TexTea is online now   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

We have had meetings like that////
Old 06-08-2017, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

( teachers felt like their time was wasted and some were angry!Only we did not even have any ice cream.. I have worked for 1 P in particular who made huge celebrations for us. It has taken some time to get used to a P who doesn't seem to even believe in celebrations at all. I guess it makes for shorter and less meetings. Plus, people don't feel that bad because seriously no1 gets recognized for anything! I can see how the teachers who are not in testing grades would feel like their work was unnoticed. It'd be nice if next time teachers in testing grades decided ahead of time to accept their compliments and tack on a thank you to _____ teacher(s) names in lower grades who sent their kids to them on level, with good work habits, or had laid a good foundation. It could lift school spirit and make a better atmosphere.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

luvinit

Subman
Old 06-08-2017, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

"I've taken to bringing my own ice cream." HaHaHa!!!
luvinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

what to expect
Old 06-08-2017, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Absolutely, what do you expect from someone who stays in their office all day and sits behind a computer? This person needs to get a bigger scope of the positive that happens in your school. AND you guys need to give each other some pat in the back because kudos don't always have to come from an admin.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

A lesson learned.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Faculty have learned that only certain grade levels get praised. Some teachers are very upset and hurt when it happens. I hate sitting in a staff meeting while data is trotted out. Nowhere on the spreadsheet does it indicate that a teacher had a chair-thrower that interrupted instruction on a daily basis all year, in addition to lion's share of the most vulnerable and needy learners, and that might be part of the reason why his/her test scores aren't the greatest. In fact, that same teacher isn't praised for the huge amount of growth the students did make while under his/her care, because unless it meets the testing proficiency levels, it's considered a fail. Nowhere on the spreadsheet does it say, "Teacher's students entered 3 years below grade level and left a year or less below." It's still a fail.

Yeah, I've been that teacher.

I've numbed myself to those meetings. Even when I am praised, it doesn't do anything for my morale.

If I based my happiness and satisfaction on praise and recognition, I'd need to leave teaching.

WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 06-08-2017, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yep. I was that teacher this year. I had 8 dyslexic students, 1 sped, 1 ESL, and several too low for sped. This is out of my 23. Another grade level class had 8 TAG stidents and no soed. So yeah, my scores were not stellar, but everyone a made growth.
Claire is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 06-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks for the responses everyone! Next time I'm bringing my own Ben and Jerrys. I'm going to bring it for my teammates too.
Mikhail, I was thinking along similar lines. I ran into a 3rd grade colleague today and told him I'd heard great things about the growth his students made and how awesome that was. I didn't think it'd mean much but he beamed.
WestCoachTch, how did you know my class? Lol. I was happy with my scores considering the class I had and was even happy that though the two worst behavior cases were in my class, they were suspended significantly fewer times. And I thought the same thing about not needing praise from admin. Interesting, as I reflect, it was largely new teachers upset.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

Marcee

You had my class
Old 06-08-2017, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Same. I got stuck with all the significant behavior problems as well as four kids on varying degrees of the spectrum. Jeez.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

gardener5

Old 06-09-2017, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

What a wonderful idea. Let's acknowledge and celebrate "good" teachers based on test scores. We all know that's the only thing that gives us any information about what happens in a classroom.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Einstein
gardener5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 06-09-2017, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

So many people don't know how to do things right, it's not even funny. It's even worse when that person is in any kind of authority position.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Recognition problems
Old 06-09-2017, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

A number of years ago I attended a workshop at another school. I was stunned to see the hallway to the p's office lined with bar graphs displaying map scores for each teacher. Teachers' name were prominently displayed also. I guess that's my way of saying it could always be worse.

No situation is ever perfect. If the students in your school show growth and your coworkers work as a team, then in my mind the staff has something many others can only dream of. To counter the actions of the oblivious p find ways to bolster each other up, ice cream parties are a great start. Stick together, such a school is worth fighting for.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote