Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Teacher dilemma

>

Risa

Teacher dilemma
Old 07-14-2020, 10:44 AM

I've read several teachers (of all ages) refer to the topic of this article on several PT boards

Aging Teachers Ask Themselves, Do I Quit or Do I Risk My Life?
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/teach...b6df6cc0b15fc0

Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 07-14-2020, 11:00 AM

This is certainly a problem. I am a 51 year old teaching assistant who was already semi retired, but needed to make some extra money to preserve our retirement funds. I am now reliant on the insurance so I am stuck.

45 percent of the staff in my district are 50 and over, something that was brought up at our school board meeting last night. I hope the board will think about this and the statements of fear made by many teachers, when they vote on which direction we will take.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-14-2020, 11:25 AM

If I had to ask myself, would I rather be broke OR dead, it's no pondering about it. I know what answer I'll say!

Another note about this hated virus that I hate...it's not like once you catch it, you're immuned forever. It's just like the common cold in that you can get it again and again. For something so deadly, that's horrendous and scary to no end!
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 07-14-2020, 12:33 PM

While I can't afford not to work, I am not putting my life or my family's at risk. I'm playing it by ear and hopefully can work remotely, but will quit before I risk our lives. Possibly I could take leave, but I need to research. I love teaching but I am no martyr.
love_to_learn is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

returning to work
Old 07-15-2020, 05:15 AM

I'm an older teacher but healthy with no underlying issues so either I'm being naive, stupid or realistic but..I live in a state with a tough governor. Our numbers of daily cases are not as high as other states but are not on a steady, consistent decline. Based on numbers reported, about 1% of cases are individuals who have died. And I do know that some of those deaths are listed as COVID but are not. I'm going to wait and see what our district plan is. I know from talking to a colleague who is on the reopening committee, our district is following CDC guidelines while planning. I am eligible to retire but wanted to work 2 more years so I'll see what the reality is. I understand the fear in come states and some communities but I'm not going to make a decision now at this moment until I have more facts such as exactly what returning to school looks like. I have more than a month until returning. If I feel it's too unsafe or unrealistic, I'll leave. I wear masks, practice SD, wash my hands as directed. I'll wait and see.

Last edited by Violets2; 07-15-2020 at 05:50 AM..
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote