News States No More Hugging/Kissing Unless You Live with The Person - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

News States No More Hugging/Kissing Unless You Live with The Person

>

MAsped

News States No More Hugging/Kissing Unless You Live with The Person
Old 07-15-2020, 07:56 AM

https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/st...we-get-it-back

https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...ors-quarantine

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...king-1.4187839

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...tino-greeting/

The above are alightly older articles and I'm not talking about the elbow bump that they've suggested to do when greeting people. Today's the first time I heard that it's suggested NOT to hug or kiss your loved ones, maybe unless you live with them. Sad times.

If they're anything like my future FIL and siblings-in-law who all cheat on their spouses and don't seem to care about not having parties, their spouses are in for trouble! (My SO's so glad he has nothing to do with any of them anymore.)

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 07-15-2020, 09:11 AM

Well I will continue hugging my grown son and gf even though they dont live with us. And my dd bf always hugs me when he leaves so I guess I'm out on that suggestion.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-15-2020, 11:17 AM

Haven't seen my dd since March. Would not even consider hugging. I think about how devasted she would be if she did hug me and I got sick.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 07-15-2020, 11:47 AM

We haven't been and it's really sad. My mom did have a picnic lunch with my 4-year-old nephew. She used to be his daycare and he misses her like crazy. She said during the picnic he kept inching over, closer and closer, until finally he was leaning against her and snuggling a bit. She told her doctor about it and the doctor said a little snuggle once in a while won't hurt!

But I still don't want to take the chance of them getting sick. We had a scare last week, but everyone tested negative, fortunately. It was just a good reminder that we can't let our guard down yet.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 07-15-2020, 01:23 PM

My dd has soccer and school sport workouts going on so I'm exposed anyway. I'm 42 and relatively healthy so I choose to hug my kiddos. My parents who are 67 are not getting close to any of us though which is smart.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 07-15-2020, 01:50 PM

When I saw my DS's and DGD on Mother's Day (and a few other times since), of course I hugged them. My DS has been extra cautious being a police officer but it was time for hugs.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Sadly ridiculous
Old 07-15-2020, 02:10 PM

For me, after considering the benefits of hugging vs. the risks of hugging, I choose hugging.

Quote:
Not only do we miss hugs, we need them. Physical affection reduces stress by calming our sympathetic nervous system, which during times of worry releases damaging stress hormones into our bodies. In one series of studies, just holding hands with a loved one reduced the distress of an electric shock.

“Humans have brain pathways that are specifically dedicated to detecting affectionate touch,” says Johannes Eichstaedt, a computational social scientist and psychology professor at Stanford University. “Affectionate touch is how our biological systems communicate to one another that we are safe, that we are loved, and that we are not alone.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/04/w...-hug-mask.html
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

Assisted Living
Old 07-15-2020, 06:32 PM

I can only visit my sweet 94 year old mom in a plastic walled booth . I understand the precautions. But as I was saying goodbye there was a space on the side and I leaned over and kissed her on the cheek . In the past 5 years I almost lost 6 times. I thought I will never forgive myself if I didn’t. Yes, I know the chances both ways. But the next day my mom said “I am so glad you kissed me”
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote