Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

reporters wearing masks

>

stella.ivey

reporters wearing masks
Old 07-17-2020, 05:09 AM

I'm watching the Today Show this morning, and it happened again. Right now, there is a story about baseball. The reporter is standing outside in the fresh air. It seems to be just him and his camera person. He is wearing a mask that covers most of his face and muffles his voice. This drives me crazy! I would totally understand and support a reporter wearing a mask if he/she is interviewing another, but this seems silly. Just now, they went back to the studio, and none of the anchors are wearing masks....

stella.ivey is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 07-17-2020, 06:00 AM

I actually think it's great when they do that because I think it normalizes mask wearing. The less stigma on wearing a mask, the more comfortable people will feel wearing them.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-17-2020, 06:10 AM

I agree with tyrex. I hope they become ordinary.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 07-17-2020, 07:03 AM

I feel like you but I'm also in agreement that it's a reminder to wear masks and makes it look more normalized.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 07-17-2020, 07:17 AM

agree with the 3 posters above. also, if he is in a public space, there might be some people around who may walk past him, and you never know what other people are going to do--there have been many videos of people jumping into video frames and doing kooky things!

*yes, it is sometimes hard to understand what people are saying when they are wearing masks. not looking forward to going back to school and wearing a mask AND a shield and expecting kids to be able to hear and understand---when the receptionist at the doctor can't understand me spelling out my name....

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-17-2020, 08:11 AM

I havenít had any problem understanding reporters with masks and I appreciate them modeling the correct public behavior. If it becomes an ongoing problem for you closed captioning works well.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-17-2020, 08:37 AM

I agree with tyrex too. The more viewers see people on TV wearing them, HOPEFULLY, it will finally convince them to if they haven't started already.

What kind of irks me though is that some of these news reporters masks don't fit them well. There's often gaping on the sides.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Is the correct public behavior
Old 07-17-2020, 09:03 AM

to wear masks outdoors when more than six feet away from all other persons?

I see no need to wear a mask under those circumstances. Nor does the CDC. It seems to me the reporter is modeling the wrong behavior.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-17-2020, 09:33 AM

Wearing a mask mitigates the risk but doesn’t eliminate it. Distance mitigates the risk but doesn’t eliminate it. Together the risk is exponentially lower.

You only saw the reporter but you have no idea who might have been around and coughing or sneezing droplets that go much further than 6 ft.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-17-2020, 10:20 AM

If we're outside without a mask there is no guarantee that others will not intrude on our 6-foot distant requirement so it makes sense that reporters wear masks. We really don't know how far away the cameraperson or soundperson are standing. They could well need to be within six feet so it's sensible that the reporter wears a mask. Seriously, it's no big deal to wear a mask.

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-17-2020, 11:23 AM

I am annoyed when they are interviewing someone from like 1 foot away and they have their mask pulled down on their chin!

A couple of years ago every room got these voice amplification things- like a little microphone you wear around your neck and it comes out of the classroom speakers. Most people haven't bothered with them, but I suspect with masks we may need to use them this year. I am concerned about being able to hear and understand the kids- that's already a challenge for many of the little ones without adding a mask in!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote