Help

BusyBoard

Covid and classrooms

>

momteach310

Covid and classrooms
Old 07-24-2020, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So if, big if, we go back into our classrooms - what happens to all my stuff? I have book bins, buckets with crayons, etc, - do I have to cover them all up, remove them from the room? I know there will be no shared supplies. We are getting every child their own set of markers, crayons, pencils, scissor - but should I just take my stuff out? I have a chair I read from at story time - well no more of gathering on the floor around me. Should I take it home?

Nobody is telling us about the nitty gritty stuff that individual teachers have to deal with.
WWYD?

momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Best judgement
Old 07-24-2020, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Because there are so many decisions to be made by administrators and support team, I'd say you'll have to use your best judgement until otherwise directed. If everything that is used will need to be wiped down regularly, I would say that you should cover (or take home) anything you're sure you won't be using.
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

DRV

We remove it all
Old 07-24-2020, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The PK and K teachers were called in this week to remove all toys, center activities, and shared materials. The school arranged a storage unit for large items (ex-my kitchen center), and I could box up smaller items as well. I brought home fragile or odd shaped items (ex- dollhouse). I kept my library carts and will cover them with a sheet that can be regularly laundered. Kids will be allowed to look at books assigned to them, but then those books will need to go into a "time out" for the following week.

*title should say- We removed it all

Last edited by DRV; 07-24-2020 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: grammar
DRV is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-24-2020, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am in a middle school, so materials are different, but Iím going to remove my things as much as possible and keep my desk clear. Our rooms will be sprayed with a disinfecting mist, and it seems to leave a film on everything. I donít like it.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

CricketSpecEd

All excess furniture is being removed
Old 07-24-2020, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My son was told he has to get anything he wants from bookcases, cabinets and files by next week. Then all furniture except desks are being put into storage to allow them room to space desks 6 feet apart.
All plans for districts here state that all unnecessary furniture is being removed from classrooms. Any extra chair would be removed.

CricketSpecEd is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-24-2020, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Interesting how different things work in different areas. I haven't heard anything about removing things, but it certainly makes sense to take out things that definitely won't be used-any community supplies/bins. We are not removing furniture-I think we will just put signs on desks or tables that won't be used. I know many teachers are regretting having tables right now!

I did see that they suggest teachers clean up work areas so that it is easier to disinfect daily.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 07-24-2020, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'd leave it but just cover them so the kids are reminded they're not to be used. I haven't heard our plan yet, but I figure if it involves no sharing of books, which personally I think is crazy--how do they read if they can't use the books in the room

Why drag it all home just to drag it back if you reopen?
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Classroom Items
Old 07-24-2020, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We were not told to remove or declutter our classrooms but I did it anyway. Last weekend DH helped me bring my personal furniture and other items home for storage. I packed up my personal library and took those books home too. The only books left are school owned and I put them on one shelf. I measured the shelves and plan to make curtains from cheap plastic shower curtains to cover them. I also have a book case with all of my teacher manuals and other books by my desk that will get a curtain too. I can easily spray those 2 curtains to disinfect and they will protect the materials behind them from the cleaning sprays used by the custodian. The book cases are metal and I plan to glue little magnets on the showere curtain edges to help seal and protect the items on the shelves.
I am organized and don't like a lot of supplies and materials sitting out so everything is already in a box or tub and stored neatly so it shouldn't be too much of an issue for me. Decorations will be minimal because I don't want to clean them or around them.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 07-24-2020, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We were told before we went on summer break to box up the library books and they would put them in storage. They also were going to remove big pieces of furniture. We tore down our classrooms - everything off the walls. Minimal is the key this year.
googaleeebear is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

furniture removal
Old 07-24-2020, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

"Unnecessary" tables were removed already. They are coming on Monday to remove more.

We are supposed to have only 15 student desks for our AM/PM return. (We're virtual to start.)

We can keep our teacher desk if it's not too big, whatever that is. They expect that we will be in stand and deliver mode, but we can't have too big a desk???Where does the doc cam go? They already took my presentation station.

They might leave classroom libraries. I hope they do because I have five tall, full bookshelves. They are only 12 inches deep and one is in a nook where kids won't fit, so I hope they stay.

Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

northcalsub

Old 07-24-2020, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

These classroom configurations and limitations sound like every summer school experience I ever had.Here teach, but don't use anything, bring your own supplies, and just wing it. In a classroom, depending on the size, and there are many small rooms. it will have to be desks and students and everything else will have to move. It is going to be difficult for sure. Here in my district, there has been no direction for classrooms, we start in 3 weeks. However last week, we have been told starting remote learning. There is no direct mandate for us to do any set lesson for our grade level. I guess it's wait and see...
northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Spray
Old 07-24-2020, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

dutchgirl...our school was going to use a spray that leaves a residue. The teacherís union got involved and they sent them back. Ask for a copy of what is in those chemicals. Itís pretty bad.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-24-2020, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have left things out because I know at some point we will have to use them. I will keep them covered when we arenít using them, either with plastic tablecloths or shower curtains. We arenít removing extra furniture because, well, I donít really think there is any place to put it. Iím putting one standing desk, one Extra small student desk, stools, and podium in storage. Those are Mine.
Iím leaving all bookshelves and two tables out. We will use those.

My room is not big enough to maintain 6í between kids for more than 12 kids.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

classroom
Old 07-25-2020, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We're going back in 2 weeks, and we're doing the traditional method. They're leaving it up to the teachers for our own supplies, but like you, students can't share supplies.

Personally, I would just put them where the kids can't get to them for now. I wouldn't take anything out. That will be part of the classroom procedures, going over everything that can/can't be touched. With the short lived lifespan of the virus on surfaces, I wouldn't think it's life threatening if they touched something by accident. You'd just have to move it somewhere else so nobody else touched it for a day or so.

I would also leave the chair and just put it at the front of the room to read from while they sit in their desks.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-25-2020, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

So far we've only been told to get rid of tables (we can keep one for small groups if there's room) and cover shelves. I'm not going to take anything home if I don't have to. We haven't been told we have to remove personal items, either, so hopefully those will stay. I still want to be able to decorate for holidays, etc.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

What about vacuuming???
Old 07-25-2020, 10:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My old Kinder room had a cement tiled floor and a large wonderful carpet that will be removed along with my former cubbies that I personally paid for.

But the other kinder teachers have portable classroom with wall to wall carpet. Even with daily vacuuming shouldn't they be shampooed more than two or three times per year? I think they should be shampooed weekly during this crisis. I don't think spraying the surface will penetrate through the base or padding .
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I plan to leave it all packed up at the
Old 07-26-2020, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

moment. My classroom has hard wood floors. To get them refinished and waxed properly, I had to take everything out and pack it up. My plan is to just get out only what I will need as I need it. It will take some organization, yes. But I think that is the safest way to go.

I haven't decide yet about desks vs. tables and those sorts of things. I have sort of a mental image of how things should be. I do not plan really well mentally though so some things will need to be worked out as I go. I will need to see my furniture in place and that sort of thing.

I'd like to be more organized than I currently am so maybe this will force my hand.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-26-2020, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I've heard we'll be getting storage pods to put things in. Historically the practice when someone moves classrooms in my building (and the time we all moved into a new building) is that they are told to box everything up and label the room number, and custodians will move it over the summer. EVERY SINGLE TIME that person ends up missing at least half of their stuff and it's never found again. I don't trust that we're actually getting everything back from these "storage pods." Depending on what all we have to get rid of (no specific guidance yet) I may bring some stuff home and store it in my guest bedroom.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote