Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

New contacts prescription

>

Haley23

New contacts prescription
Old 08-01-2020, 04:25 PM

I usually go to my yearly eye appointment in May. Everything was still shut down here/they were only open for emergencies in May, so obviously I didn't go. I ordered a bunch of contacts from 1-800 contacts right before my prescription expired just because I wasn't sure what was going to happen and I didn't want to run out.

So now that it seems this pandemic is definitely not going away any time soon I figured I might as well just make an appointment before school started. I ended up with a new prescription. My Dr. asked me if I'd noticed any changes and I honestly hadn't- I felt like I could see perfectly normally in my old contacts.

Now that I have the new ones in, I do see that my vision is a little sharper, but it's not like realizing I couldn't really see well before and now I can (like when I first got contacts ). So, what to do with the 3 months worth of old prescription contacts I have. I read on the 1-800 contacts website that apparently you can send unopened boxes back and they'll credit your account, so theoretically I could do that and then order the correct ones.

I'm probably too much of a worrier, but I worry something will go wrong with that process and I won't really get credit for them (post office will lose them, they'll lose them, they'll say they didn't get them, etc.) Has anyone actually done that before? Is it worth the hassle, or since I feel like the old prescription is fine, wear those until they're gone and then start on the ones with the new prescription?

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 08-01-2020, 04:49 PM

Personally Id wear the ones you have and then order more with the new prescription. If you choose to send them back for credit, Im sure that there wont be any problems.
FancyFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

I once
Old 08-01-2020, 05:33 PM

sent back some to 1-800-Contacts and was reimbursed for them. I think it took a few weeks.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Certified mail?
Old 08-01-2020, 05:56 PM

There is a way to send it where the receiver has to sign for it. It costs $, but i do not know how much. You would know it arrived.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-01-2020, 06:40 PM

I'd just wear them and then order the new prescription contacts when they're gone.

annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-01-2020, 08:19 PM

I had about 6 months of contacts left when I switched from single-vision to multi-focal.

I put them on Facebook thinking someone might need one or both of my prescriptions. Nobody did, but someone did tell me about a shelter that helps abused women get back on their feet. They take all sorts of donations. They took the contacts, makeup, and toiletries.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 08-02-2020, 06:41 AM

I too would just keep wearing the old ones until they're gone then start the new prescription. With what's happening to the post office and mail delivery--it may take longer than expected to ship them back.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-22-2020, 07:48 PM

Just realized I never replied to this. Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided to just wear my old ones until I run out. I ordered 6 months of the new ones to have on hand for when my old ones do run out.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote