Have you ever gone to a wedding on your own birthday or wedding anniversary? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Have you ever gone to a wedding on your own birthday or wedding anniversary?

>

jazzer

Have you ever gone to a wedding on your own birthday or wedding anniversary?
Old 07-12-2020, 09:44 AM

My husband and I were invited to a wedding in about 6 weeks of the son of his best friend of 50 plus years who he has known since childhood. My husband and I have the same birthday and got married on that day so it is also our wedding anniversary. Guess what day the wedding is? You got it on our joint birthday and 14th wedding anniversary.

The pandemic of course complicates things. My husband said that if I am not comfortable going we don’t have to go, but it is his best friend so that is a strange dilemma. I most definitely will not worry about how they feel though because they planned to go ahead with it knowing the dangers and that people might not want to go. I will make my decision based on safety.

If this pandemic was not happening we would be going so it would be our day but it wouldn’t be our day. If there was not a pandemic, would you spend your special day celebrating someone else’s special day? My husband is kind of intrigued by that idea and I would not have minded under normal circumstances/

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 07-12-2020, 09:53 AM

My birthday or anniversary is not that big of a deal to me so it wouldnít bother me to attend a special occasion for someone else on that day ( pre pandemic, of course!). I guess I am not much of a romantic........
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-12-2020, 09:56 AM

I was maid of honor on a wedding on my 30th birthday. It was kind of cool to celebrate a rather big birthday by watching by best friend get married. And the DJ gave me a shoutout.

I mean, I wouldnít not go to an event because it was my birthday. Thatís kind of ridiculous.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

I would go
Old 07-12-2020, 09:57 AM

If there were no pandemic, I think I would go to the wedding since it is intended to be a 'once in a lifetime' occasion. Birthdays and anniversaries are celebrated every year.
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-12-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
If there was not a pandemic, would you spend your special day celebrating someone elseís special day?
Fun question! I would LOVE celebrating their wedding on my anniversary (and in your case, birthdays, too). I think it makes it even more special. I would write them a great letter telling them how much I love sharing the special day with a young couple as ___ as they are. Iím excited just thinking about it.

However, should this medical crisis continue, I would not be attending any group event. But Iíd still write the letter.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-12-2020, 10:07 AM

Pandemic aside, of course I would celebrate someone else's wonderful day on the same day as mine. I can always do something special for myself on another day. The date isn't really what matters to me. Your anniversary/birthday date is pretty cool and maybe worthy of celebrating the rest of the week and celebrating dh's friend on the wedding day .

But I'd be really cautious about going, depending on the circumstances.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 07-12-2020, 10:13 AM

Pandemic aside, I would totally go (well, obviously not to YOUR friend's wedding, but you know what I mean ). Exact dates aren't really all that important to me, so I would be fine celebrating on a different day or having attending the wedding be the celebration (especially if there was dinner and dancing, with some nice romantic music ).

I know the pandemic makes these decisions so much harder. I understand why they're moving forward with having the wedding though. We don't know when this will end. I'm glad they're understanding that some people may not want to come simply due to virus concerns.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-12-2020, 10:22 AM

I'm not that big into celebrating birthdays and anniversaries. I mean, yes, it's nice to go out, etc. but if I can't then I'm not going to throw a fit or be upset. Pandemic aside, if I wanted to go to the event and it happened to be on a special occasion for me, I'd still go. If I didn't want to go, I'd use it as an excuse for not going. I'm not that social anyway.

Under the current circumstances, there is no way I'd go to a wedding, no matter how close the friend, though!
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

I have not, but...
Old 07-12-2020, 10:23 AM

I have not, but our Pastor's grandson's wedding anniversary is the same as my husband and I. He got married in another state about eight hours away so we did not get to go. They live here though, so we all remember both anniversaries.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-12-2020, 10:25 AM

I have gone to a wedding on our anniversary. It was a fun thing for us to do! We got married on our pastor and wife's anniversary. They didn't tell us until the reception!

dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Yes.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:35 AM

I don't fuss over my own birthday, and my husband and I always celebrate our anniversary on a day when he's not traveling so we rarely celebrate on our actual wedding day.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Yes
Old 07-12-2020, 10:36 AM

I wouldn't blink an eye at it. It's not like I couldn't celebrate myself or our anniversary on another day/time.
SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

Old 07-12-2020, 11:04 AM

My birthday is in June, a popular wedding month, and I have gone to a wedding on my birthday. My DH worked all day, came home, we planned to get a nice dinner on the way, but it took us longer than we thought to get out near the wedding, so we ended up at the McDonald's drive-thru - very festive!

Anyway, going to the wedding on my b-day was no biggie. I declared the next day a birthday do-over, and it was lovely.
suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 07-12-2020, 11:37 AM

Now are weird times, but yes I definitely go to weddings etc. on my birthday or anniversary. It's not a big deal to me.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 07-12-2020, 12:00 PM

Yes! My sister in law (ex-husbandís half sister) and her husband got married on mine and my ex husbandís anniversary 5 years after we did. It was fun. And no one thought of it.
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-12-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't blink an eye at it. It's not like I couldn't celebrate myself or our anniversary on another day/time.
Same. It wouldnít even occur to me that this would be an issue for people.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-12-2020, 01:02 PM

I've gone to a wedding on my birthday and on our anniversary. A wedding is a special, once in a lifetime (hopefully ) event. Yearly celebrations can happen on any day. I can't imagine saying to someone, "sorry I can't come to your wedding because it's my birthday"
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 07-12-2020, 01:14 PM

I donít think spending your special day with someone else who is having a special day makes your day any less special. In fact, I think celebrating an anniversary at someoneís wedding would bring back fond memories and make the day even more special.

My friend got married on her sonís anniversary. There was a lot going on and they day she could have it fell on his anniversary. Her daughter in law refused to go to the wedding and would not allow the grandson to go either. The dil is a real prize.
wildflowerz is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 07-12-2020, 01:26 PM

My MIL did--ours We got married on her birthday because that's just how it worked out. She did always say, I was the best birthday present she ever got
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 07-12-2020, 02:03 PM

I agree with all of you and would be happy to attend this under normal conditions. Thank you for answering the question as it was intended based on a scenario where there is no pandemic.

The current difficulty is that this will be occurring in six weeks. My husband really wants to go and said that if I don’t feel comfortable going, he still wants to “drop by”. I am not sure if this is the best idea. It is a compromise to where he makes an appearance and we don’t spend our whole birthday and anniversary day separated, but he would still be exposed to other people unless he stays far away from everyone which is another option/

I don’t know that I could convince him to not go at all since he has been friends with the groom’s father for many years.

They said in their invitation for everyone to be considerate of those who wish to wear masks and social distance which is good, but almost sounds like they are saying please don’t alienate those who are more cautious about this than we are.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Old 07-12-2020, 03:28 PM

I think even if he's the only one that goes, he's still taking a chance that he might bring the virus home. Who knows where everyone at the wedding has been, and who they have come in contact with. Have they all worn masks and only come in contact with mask wearers? It seems pretty risky to me, and if there's alcohol at the wedding, the social distancing rules could go out the window.
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 07-13-2020, 09:57 AM

Yup

Our very first wedding anniversary was celebrated by attending another couple's wedding AT THE SAME VENUE

Although I'm sure she would've understood if we had chosen not to go (she knew it was our anniversary because she had come to our wedding the year prior (that's how she decided to go with the same venue!))

But we stayed in the same hotel as our wedding night and somewhat relived our wedding for our first anniversary.

No regrets

HOWEVER, I haven't attended any weddings or parties or big gatherings during the pandemic so I can't tell ya what I'd do in your situation!
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote