Help

Teachers' Lounge

Rlyndeckerís Stuff

>

rachelmpd

Rlyndeckerís Stuff
Old 07-24-2020, 10:21 PM

I e-mailed the principal, but in case I donít hear from her in time:

I am going to the school Monday. I thought most of her stuff was already packed up since she was on leave. Her roommate implied that it wasnít (tried getting clarification, but no answer). If all the books are packed, I will simply take them. If the books (maybe 1,000?) are not packed up, do I pack them up and donate/sell down here or do as her roommate says and just leave everything for the school to deal with.

Leaving everything: Positive would be a newer teacher may come and want her stuff. Negative: Who knows when teachers are allowed in then classrooms, possibility no one will want the stuff so it gets tossed and leaving a mess for someone else to deal with.

Taking everything: Positive: Will be able to give it to people who want. Maybe able to make a few bucks. Negative: Time to pack it up and how many boxes will I need.😳

rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

If I were you
Old 07-24-2020, 10:24 PM

I would not worry about the stuff she left. I am sure her books with be absorbed into other classroom libraries.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-24-2020, 10:39 PM

What Iíd do.....

If the books are packed, bring them home and keep a few as mementos. There might be some youíd like to keep for Gabriel. Give the rest away, your local library will probably take then.

If the books are not packed, go through them in the classroom as much as you can for the special memento books. Leave the rest there for the school to deal with.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-25-2020, 01:59 AM

I would stop by her room and pick up a few books for your son. There also might be mementos that you may appreciate having. Perhaps a picture or two and items that were meaningful to your sister.

I'd want to leave the books for other teachers in her building to share. I don't think selling books at this time would be profitable or worth your time.

I'm so sorry that you have to do this all, especially during a pandemic. It must continue to be so very difficult. Take your time and be gentle with yourself.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 07-25-2020, 03:51 AM

Is it possible for you to email the principal and ask what they might want to do with the books? Personally, I think leaving 1,000 books would be very overwhelming for anyone moving into her classroom. I agree with going in and taking some that you may want.

I've seen many leave books out on tables for others to take if they want but during this Covid time, that may not be possible.

Otherwise, I'd pack them up and donate the good ones somewhere.

Violets2 is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 07-25-2020, 04:56 AM

I like the suggestion to go and select what you would like to keep. The rest leave at the school. Teachers are always looking to add to their collections.
You never know what another teacher will find useful. Just be kind to yourself. It won't be easy.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

(((Hugs)))
Old 07-25-2020, 05:33 AM

I am sorry you have so much to deal with. I like the suggestion, if they arenít boxed, to go through and take what youíd like for your son.

1,000 is a lot, but we need so many books for our classroom libraries that they would be appreciated. If they arenít already packed up, my guess is because they were being used.

Sending peaceful thoughts and prayers.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-25-2020, 06:01 AM

I would just leave them at the school, packed or unpacked. If she left any personal items, then I'd pick those up. Otherwise, let the school deal with it.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Rylyndeckerís stuff
Old 07-25-2020, 07:37 AM

This is hard for you, I know. Take a step back and think: if I bring all these books home, do I really, truly want/have the time to sort through them? Do I have a place to safely store them? (From personal experience, I kept too many boxes of books and got bugs...)

I agree that you should take some for Gabriel, and any very special mementos.

FYI, I had more than 1,000 books in my classroom when I retired. I kept maybe 100, and left the rest. P told two other teachers to raid my leveled books because they never had enough. And the incoming teacher was grateful for the many, many that were left.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 07-25-2020, 07:58 AM

My first job was started as subbing for a teacher out on sick leave from surgery. I was the third sub that year and started in November. No one ever came to pick anything up after she died in December. Now there was not the number of books that you are talking about, but I was grateful for everything that was left.

Take the personal items. Take anything you think Gabriel would like now or later. Take anything already boxed up to go. Leave the rest.

marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

What do you want to do?
Old 07-25-2020, 12:14 PM

You are the one left to do this. I know it will be very emotional ó especially now.

There is no right or wrong.

What will be easier for you to deal with? If leaving it all there is better for you - the school can deal with it. If it is easier for you to take some stuff and leave the rest, thatís OK, too. If you feel the need to take most/everything and sort through when you have time, do that.

Do what works best for YOU.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Thanks
Old 07-25-2020, 06:46 PM

I eliminated the middle people who donít seem to know much (my father and her roommate). I e-mailed the P. Seems very nice and supportive. She assured me she would find a home for anything left. She said she told Rebecca to pack up personal items before she left. The rest of her classroom was packed into 30 boxes. I will quickly go through them to see if there is anything special to save for Gabriel. She wasnít a big, letís use this book for this lesson type person, so I donít think there will be much that isnít widely available/special. Ironically, I did find units at her house buried in a file cabinet.😆 Makes me want to save them, in case I ever get a teaching job.

Thanks.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 07-26-2020, 07:46 AM

I'm so sorry.

Do whatever is easiest for you. There is no "book" on how to deal with this. Maybe look through the boxes to see if there is anything you'd like to keep and leave the rest. I'm sure the P will understand.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote