Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Student with Down Syndrome

>

Monalise

Student with Down Syndrome
Old 07-30-2009, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student next year who's high-functioning with down syndrome. His mother is very involved in his education. He's intelligent but has some big management problems. The last year's teacher had problems with him running off, pulling things off shelves, overall getting into mischief. I'll have him 80-90 percent of the day.

Any suggestions on how I can make this a smooth year? I'm going to get in touch with our psychologist at the first of the year for help with him, but I'm really nervous about managing him, especially with Daily five and such.

ANY help would be appreciated, thanks!

Monalise is offline   Reply With Quote

ichigo

Old 07-30-2009, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

From your description of last year I'm thinking of the story No David!
I think building stamina will probably help him gain some control. Be ready to constantly redirect his behavior, and make him responsible for it. If he pulls things off the shelf, he puts them back.
ichigo is offline   Reply With Quote

HollyEllis

Some Suggestions
Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used to work one on one with a student with Downs Syndrome who was pretty low functioning. I don't know what kind of help you will have with your student but here's some things I did with her that I plan on doing with a student I have in my class this year who also has Downs...

1. Visual Timer set 5-10 minutes before transition time
2. CONSISTENCY
3. A Class Buddy
4. Daily Behavior Sheet broken into times of day and one or two goals the student needs to work on...if he gets 10/20 happy faces or stars, he gets a star on a chart, after earning 5 stars he gets 10 mins on computer or something like that
5. With the running off, we installed a baby gate in our classroom doorway that was locked in place. None of the students could use it. It was actually helpful in knowing exactly who was in and out of your room. haha

I'm sure I'll think of more...
HollyEllis is offline   Reply With Quote

Monalise

Thank you!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

These are great thoughts. I'm looking forward to the experience and am trying to read up on anything and everything I can get my hands on. Thanks again!
Monalise is offline   Reply With Quote

Kaths77

little help message
Old 07-31-2009, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would first wonder how old this child is- I have a daughter w/ Ds and for a year or so she went through this same behavior- that was when she was in probably in grades 1-3. She is now 14 and high-functioning as well. The more stories I read the more I find traits that seem to be common amoung these people w/ Ds. I say that, NOT to be clumping them together and comparing them like we, as mothers so often do. My 2 kids are as different as night and day and it is not because of the Ds. Anyway. I am currently reading a quick read called Onward Crispy Shoulders. Take a look at it, it may enlighten you some. Infact I just read today a chapter in which Jim is running down the street after the ice cream truck! I think if you read it you might find that we as parents (no not all parents of special kids, but many that I know), take these things in stride and will do anything we can to help the teacher out while she is caring and working with our children. I use social stories with my daughter, often! She now is FINALLY beginning to stay in bed all night instead of getting up and turning on every light in the house, night after night -sometime around 2 or so- at least that was when I would wake up enough to roll out of bed and go turn them all off. And even then, I would sometimes find them all on again when I got up at 5:30. Anyway, I don't know that I have helped relieve your fears in any way, but know that this is probably just another phase that he is going through and it too, will pass; and you will find that he is more similar to the others in class and easier for you to get along with than you thought he would be.
One more thing that has been most inportant during school- It doesnít help anyone to write notes expecting the parents to be the disciplinarians & fix everything. My daughter, like others canít relate hours later to something that went wrong in the morning. Things need to be taken care of right when things occur or basically not at all.
Not only am I a parent and special Ed teacher, but I also provided early intervention services for quite a few years. Remember, this is what I have found to work for me in my dealings with my daughter and others that I have worked with. I am not trying to say I am an expert and know it all, just trying to help with a little personal insight. Have fun and good luck! Iíll be here if I have or can help in any other way-

Kaths77 is offline   Reply With Quote

GBickel

kaths77
Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

THank you for your insightfulness. I have never had a down's child in my own classroom but have in other teacher's classes. I had worked with some in special olympics a few years back. I found your comments very helpful and positive.
GBickel is offline   Reply With Quote

Kaths77

Ds help
Old 08-01-2009, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

No problem- If I can answer any other questions that come up or help in any way just let me know- I will check this link occasionally or I think if you click on my name you can send me a message- anyway, Good luck and have a great year!

OKTeach1

Blessed
Old 08-01-2009, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had a student with down syndrome several years ago. Every time I have a student with special needs they teach me so much! My students were incredible with this precious girl. They loved her and contributed so much to her progress that year. The children recognized that she would try to do exactly what they did and learned how important it was for them
to model good choices and appropriate behavior. We were truly blessed to have her in our classroom! I hope you find your experience to be equally rewarding! You have been given wonderful advice from Kaths77. Expect to be blessed and sometimes challenged, and I am sure everything will go well!
OKTeach1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kaths77

Old 08-11-2009, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Dear Blessed- that was a nice note- I didn't think to say(or write) that I always tell others that everyone that meets our daughter and spends any amount of time with her comes away learning something- we, as a family have learned so much from having her in our lives(me especially, I have never been very patient and am told constantly that I must have the patience of Job- Ha! if they only knew!) anyway, I have learned to slow my life down some and it isn't a bad thing- I just always have expected things from her and if I wait long enough(sometimes longer than others) I find happiness and am blessed again and again! She is 14 now and I just heard Mom last year FINALLY. I used to joke that at least I don't hear NO -she said BA! Well, this past summer she mastered that wonderful word, NO, with a some what sassy tone, but I smile inside because it is growth! I do hope that you come away feeling as blessed as the rest of us that have the pleaseure of working with these children. I have found the same amount of pleasure and feel just as blessed whenever I have had the opportunity to work with other special children as well and end up thanking parents for giving me that pleasure. Good luck and let me know how the year goes for you!

Kaths77

DS student
Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Monalise:
Hi there- I just thought I would check in with you and see how your year is going. I hope well. I also hope that you have had a wonderful experience soaking up all that your students have to offer you, as well as they, what you are offering them. Hope things are well- drop me a post- Kathy