Help

High School

Help! 1st time teaching 9th grade

>

MrsFrazzled

Help! 1st time teaching 9th grade
Old 07-31-2018, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my fourth year teaching. Students start Friday. Monday, I found that that I am no longer teaching the two science classes that Iíve taught the last 3 years. Iíve been given 2 new ones that Iíve never taught and for the first time, Iíll be teaching 9th graders.

Anyone have any tips for teaching 9th graders?

Also, anyone have any tips for handling cellphones? Iíve struggled to be consistent with a cell phone policy and I know I will need to do better since Iím teaching mostly 9th grade.

MrsFrazzled is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

9th grade
Old 07-31-2018, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love 9th graders!! I get to see them come into our school as young people and leave as mostly more mature young adults. I have taught all grade levels from Kinder to senior in high school and I have a fondness for 9th graders.

Not knowing your full situation (middle school or high school) the 9th graders will come in either feeling like they are king of the hill (middle school) or a bit scared (high school). I get them in high school and have found that just being understanding of their fears, knowing their bodies are developing faster than their minds, and that they are very emotional and passionate about how they feel makes a big difference. They want to stand out, yet be the same as everyone else. They want to find the "love of their life" yet not be tied into any one thing.

As for teaching them, find a common ground with them. Ask them what they are interested in learning in your class and try to accommodate that as they try on their new nearly adult shoes.

As for cellphones, well, I say follow your school procedures for them. If the kids can't have them, have a phone hold bucket on your desk. Make sure they kids turn the phone off and use the phone holder to take attendance. Should a student honestly not have a cell phone, don't count then absent . I have also used cellphones as collateral. If they need a charger for their iPad in class, they have to give me their phone for as long as they have my charger or whatever item they borrowed. Go with what your school says first then be creative after that.

I also give them one warning to put a phone away then it goes on my desk. If they have it out again next class period, the phone goes to the main office until the end of the day. If there is a 3rd time, they call their parent from their cellphone, and then I take it to the office to have the parent come get it. Our district allows us to confiscate phones if they are are a severe nuisance. I have only had to go to the 3rd step one time in the past 3 years.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Daydreamer19

Year 9 expert
Old 08-01-2018, 10:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi,

I've been teaching year 9 students for 2 years now and they are always very challenging. They sometimes don't see the boundary line.

I teach boys and they like to make jokes. So, I joke about punishing them to kind of warn them for their misbehavior and they respond to that more.

I also put the students into groups and award them with points when they finish a task or answer a question correctly, or cleaning up their mess. I give awards and small prizes to the winning team at the end of the term.

Hope this helps

Wishes from NSW Australia
Daydreamer19 is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 09-21-2018, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had freshmen for 3 years, they are amazing. I love teenagers, but the 9th graders are my favorites. still teachable, but old enough to hold their own in serious conversations and topics. they are not driving yet, still tethered to parents for a lot, so still controllable. they joke more, they are less serious on several levels, but usually consequences have more meaning as well.

Thay want to be more grown up, they want to see you, helping them make that next step to adulthood. if you can show them how what you are teaching will help them get to that goal, how you are assisting them in building that foundation that they are going to build a life on.

science has tons of applications that relate to life and other interesting things, so that's a great fit.

cellphones.... calculator pouch?
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsFrazzled

Old 09-22-2018, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Whd507, you must have got lucky with your 9th graders. The ones I have are incredibly immature and wonít stop talking for anything. I can honestly say I donít like them. Iíve had them for 7 weeks now and it takes all I have to keep going back. Iím glad some of you can enjoy 9th grade but I just canít. I canít handle their stupid, immature comments. I talked to another teacher who had taught 9th graders and she said the same thing.

I had to be very mean when they started laughing and making rude comments about ďphagocytosis.Ē I told them to grow up.

As far as consequences, they mean nothing to my group. Iíve assigned multiple break detentions and even written up a few. They keep acting the same way. It hasnít phased them on bit. I was talking with a fellow teacher and she agreed when I said that they are fearless.

I miss my 10th graders. Now they were fun to teach. To me, a lot of them had a desire to learn. They had such good personalities. I realize now that I took them for granted.

slsalazar112

slsalazar112

Ninth Grade Tips
Old 10-12-2018, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi, this is my first year teaching ninth grade; I taught eighth for six years. I do not particularly like ninth grade, but I am glad that according to this post, there are those who do! I always hear bad things about eighth, but I loved eighth! They have been structured throughout middle school, and if in a good district, where the teachers know each other, they come to the end of their middle school career with rules and procedures already established. I find my ninth graders to be even more chatty than eighth grade, and very annoyed to find out that ninth grade is not this free-range circus where they can do their work in 15 min and then have "free time." I am at a new district so maybe this isn't true for every district, but I have heard that middle school is more structured and organized.

Now for tips, for chatty students, I nip that in the bud by assigning after school detention and lunch detention. Seek out what disciplinary actions your campus offers. My ninth graders can not follow procedures, and I found myself yelling everyday for five weeks! A friend told me about giving candy as a reward for procedures. So, when a student follows a procedure the first time, I will go up to them and quietly tell them "Thank you for following classroom procedures for the first time without me telling you" and give them a Jolly Rancher. They love Jolly Ranchers and doing this has really helped my kids remember to follow my five simple procedures!

High schoolers are argumentative,and the most common thing I see is teachers arguing with students. Do not argue. If they attempt to argue, shut it down with "you can talk to me after school." That's it. Arguing with a high school student will actually ruin your classroom.

Lastly, post expectations, directions, and procedures EVERYWHERE in your classroom. They need the visuals. You will repeat yourself many times. Don't get upset with that. Just roll with it.

Here's to a good year!

MrsFrazzled

slsalazar112
Old 10-14-2018, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Can I just say, that your reply is probably the most helpful advice I've received. So thank you so much! I did part of my student teaching with 8th grade and I loved them, too. You just might work at the same middle/high school as me. My 9th graders act as if I'm supposed to just give them a little 10 or 15 minute activity and them let them have free time, too! The middle school is about a mile away from our campus, so I'm not exactly sure how things are ran over there, but from what I've heard, it is kind of like a circus.

Also, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has yelled at students to be quiet. Thanks for the candy advice, I will have to try that. And I have found myself falling into arguments with them as well. Any time I try to redirect their behavior, they act as if I have just committed the biggest crime against them and them try to argue that they weren't doing anything wrong. I am definitely going to use your response!

Thank you so much!

Daydreamer19

Smaller assessments!
Old 10-30-2018, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi everyone,

I've learnt so much from the people that replied. I've found that having smaller non-paper quizzes can hold Yr. 9 students' attention for longer and in the same time you assess what they've learnt, too.

I usually just use 10 questions, either MCQ, true or false or simple short answers. This really helps me structure my lesson and prevents some misbehaviour.

Hope this helps.
Daydreamer19 is offline   Reply With Quote