Teachers' Lounge

I call this a crisis

>

amiga13

I call this a crisis
Old 08-16-2022, 09:20 AM

Iím so sad for the profession I loved.
Quote:
According to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported by the Wall Street Journal, roughly 300,000 public school educators and staff left the field between Feb. 2020 and May 2022.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I wonder
Old 08-16-2022, 09:32 AM

what the normal number is. (from previous years)

Teaching was stressful when I was teaching. I can imagine the added stress with the addition of Covid. I hope all those teachers find new and rewarding careers they enjoy and where they can make a good living.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-16-2022, 10:36 AM

Good question. I tried researching and found wildly differing results, including this:
Quote:
More than a half-million teachers have left the profession since the start of 2020. In a typical year, about 8 percent of teachers leave, but this year saw more teachers leave in the middle of the school year than normal.
BUT, based on my friends alone, I can name 4 people who resigned or took early retirement in June. These are people who used to love teaching.

Also, when we see states like Florida hiring non-college-graduates as teachers, I believe there is cause for concern for our profession and for the public perception of our profession. JMO
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

stats
Old 08-16-2022, 10:50 AM

I would be a part of that statistic. Also, I know of 5 teachers who retired during that period too from our little district of 70 teachers. So I wonder what percentage were retirees.
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 08-16-2022, 11:10 AM

It makes me sad but I also see it happening. I think there are a lot of factors.
The public lack of respect for the profession is huge.
The increasing demands on teachers along with lower pay.
The lack of flexibility.
The expectations to use your cell phone, or your money to buy supplies and decorations.
The increasing number of rules to follow about curriculum, what books you can read, etc makes it scary.
Covid showed how important it was to be near family. Iíve seen many teachers retire early to move near their grandkids.
Iíve also seen younger teachers and paras move to districts that were offering more money.

hand is online now   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 08-16-2022, 11:12 AM

Itís sad. It truly is not the job I fell in love with. Of course it was always a lot of work but the fun is gone and the demands are ridiculous. I would do anything to go back to the teacher issues and stress we dealt with even just 10 years ago.
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 08-16-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Also, when we see states like Florida hiring non-college-graduates as teachers, I believe there is cause for concern for our profession and for the public perception of our profession.
The need for teachers in Florida is quite disturbing.

I applied for a job at a tutoring center today. They only hire certified teachers, mostly retirees. They have a higher standard than our governor.
wildflowerz is online now   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 08-16-2022, 01:26 PM

I would absolutely retire if I could. I have 7 years to wait. It's not really the kids although some years are worse than others. It's the changing curriculum every two seconds and changing the way they want things done. It's the spending so much time jumping through hoops to prove I'm a good teacher that I don't have time to be a good teacher. It's the stress of getting so much done in so little time. It's the parents not being on my side and ready to sue or threaten to sue or get you fired at the drop of a hat. It's just not the same as when I started my career. I loved those kids. I don't have time to love them now. Too much to do and punishment if you don't get it done. We don't have time for feelings or fun.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 08-16-2022, 01:48 PM

I’m 14 years in and trying to leave the field.

I’m also in Florida, education is a mess here for so many different reasons (some of which are specific to my large district). Florida also raised beginning teachers (needed) but veteran teachers didn’t get a comparable percentage of a raise.
But, on a state level… this came out today: https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ne...-the-classroom
(Yea, let’s give incentives to recruit people who don’t even want to teach vs retaining the already highly qualified teachers that we have )

I also live near one of the largest universities in the country and they’ve told us they aren’t getting students going into education like they used to. We don’t get near as many intern (student) teachers as we used to.

Last edited by Lilbitkm; 08-16-2022 at 02:08 PM..
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

Daniteach13

Lilbitkm is right!
Old 08-16-2022, 02:04 PM

There definitely needs to be an emphasis on retaining the good teachers that are still working! So much is being given (well, really thrown at) to brand new teachers. In my district they say they "have to do this to attract good teachers". Don't get me wrong, I was new once, too. Unfortunately, it was a different time, a time when I couldn't choose the highest paying district or the one with the most up-to-date with technology. I was just lucky to get a job offer. Now, over a decade later, I'm making a few hundred dollars more than a brand new teacher just starting in the district. I love teaching; it is all I ever wanted to do. However, I don't know how much longer I can keep giving my all in a situation where I feel so undervalued and unappreciated.

Daniteach13 is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-16-2022, 03:10 PM

I wouldnít go back to the classroom for all the money they could throw at me! I would work 3 jobs first!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 08-16-2022, 03:26 PM

My daughter is one of those statics. She just couldn't take it anymore- constant pressure about test scores in a low income district where nothing was done about poor attendance. Add in Covid and she had had enough. She is teaching two students in basically homeschool situation- working 9-1, making just a little less than what she made in a public school.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 08-16-2022, 03:48 PM

I could have retired 2 years ago with full pension and benefits. I decided I was going to retire in June,2026. Nope, Iím retiring this year. I didnít want to retire in all the Covid mess, so this year is it.

My district had over 20 teachers resign in June. Last week I received a phone call from a colleague who is now admin. Do I know of anyone who is looking for a teaching job? K-3!!!! My district has never had an issue filling jobs. They are scrambling to fill jobs. Itís going to get worse.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Many factors
Old 08-16-2022, 04:21 PM

Teachers are often vilified by politicians and even parents. Since NCLB there has been so much emphasis on student achievement and 100% of the burden falls on the teacher if students donít achieve some artificial golden standard mandated by the state. Curriculum is constantly changing and teachers are often expected to literally ďbe on the same pageĒóno room for fun or creativity with little joy for teaching or learning. Plus teacher evaluation (Danielson, Mariano, etc.) adds another level of unrealistic expectations and stress.

With all that said I noticed that there are only 5 current openings for teachers in the district I retired from two years ago. Why??? Well, the two biggest factors are salary and a strong union. My district is the highest paying district in the state and my state ranks 6th highest in teacher salary in the nation. We have an incredibly strong unions with about 98% union membership statewide.

Many of the lower paying states like Florida are right-to-work states with low union membership which impacts union effectiveness. I think their union membership is about 63%.
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 08-16-2022, 04:31 PM

WalkDontRun… I definitely agree with your points especially your first paragraph!

Quote:
Many of the lower paying states like Florida are right-to-work states with low union membership which impacts union effectiveness. I think their union membership is about 63%.
Union membership varies by district, my district tends to hover around 60% (under 50% and we become decertified and lose the union). However, I can tell you that as a single teacher I can’t afford the additional cost of over $75 a month especially being that our union has never been strong due to a multitude of state laws.

It’s also illegal to strike in Florida, we could lose our teaching licenses along with other repercussions.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 08-16-2022, 04:55 PM

Lilbitkm I agree with you that union dues are a big price to pay if you donít have strong unions that can negotiate strong contracts. I am fortunate to live in a pro-union and pro-teacher (for the most part) state. So many states are paying the price for not valuing teachers.
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

politics
Old 08-16-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Teachers are often vilified by politicians and even parents.
In 1986 (?) I attended a lecture by a politician who had switched from the Republican to the Democratic party. She said the main reason she switched was because of the (then secret) Republican plans to get rid of teachers unions (and other unions) and ultimately public schools. A big part of the plan was to start vilifying teachers and college professors as well as the unions. It appears that they have succeeded, because I know teachers who will not tell people they are or were teachers because of the backlash. People used to respect teachers but that is a thing of the past.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

leaving education trend
Old 08-16-2022, 05:39 PM

This is me unfortunately. I enjoyed so many parts of the job, but my health is way more important. I stuck around until the end of the school year after COVID started and then I left. It was the best decision even though I felt like a failure at the time. We'll see if I decide to go back. I don't imagine education changing drastically any time soon.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Yes, definitely a crisis
Old 08-16-2022, 05:45 PM

I got my teaching credential in 2001. For the majority of my years I have worked as a substitute teacher. It might have been a foolish choice, but I still love working in classrooms with students of any age. Hopefully my daughters will provide housing for me by the time I'm in my 80s. I don't plan on retiring and am proud to help others every day.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 08-16-2022, 05:49 PM

I saw that and wondered: what's the number of people in other professions that left their field during that time?

I don't personally know anyone that left our profession--other than for (timely) retirement.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 08-16-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
There definitely needs to be an emphasis on retaining the good teachers that are still working
!

This might keep me around. Our state is finally going to increase pay for veteran teachers. Iím looking at a $14,000 raise this year, and if things ever become fair I should also be getting a $10,000 special Ed incentive. I was really considering leaving early- but this could keep me for at least 3 more years.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 08-16-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
So much is being given (well, really thrown at) to brand new teachers. In my district they say they "have to do this to attract good teachers". Don't get me wrong, I was new once, too. Unfortunately, it was a different time, a time when I couldn't choose the highest paying district or the one with the most up-to-date with technology. I was just lucky to get a job offer. Now, over a decade later, I'm making a few hundred dollars more than a brand new teacher just starting in the district. I love teaching; it is all I ever wanted to do. However, I don't know how much longer I can keep giving my all in a situation where I feel so undervalued and unappreciated.
This is what happened to us. For the first 10 years or so they kept moving everyone up a step, and then removing the bottom step to raise the beginning pay. So I am making the same as someone hired 10 years after me. Our union finally got them to agree to correct our salary structure.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I saw thisÖ
Old 08-17-2022, 05:02 AM

I had seen that. I was sad too, but not surprised. In my state, which has a high cost of living, teachers used to get their health benefits fully covered while working and in retirement if they had worked at least 25 years. When Christie became governor, that changed and teachers contribute heavily to their benefits, erasing negotiated raises in many cases. Employee pension contributions also increased. The state passed a new state-wide evaluation system that erased true tenure and empowered administrators even more. The workload increased exponentially and I saw my school go from a collegial family to a competitive pressure cooker atmosphere. And of course, there is the societal disrespect for teachers. I do not blame people for looking elsewhere.

In my state, they passed legislation that retirees could go back and teach and still collect their pension. Not a chance here for me!

I worked in education 42 years, and feel very fortunate to have worked the majority of my years in a different era. I definitely worry for the future our students if many of the best and the brightest are looking elsewhere for a career.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tatapatch

Not worth it
Old 08-17-2022, 06:09 AM

I'm one of them who left, after 14 years.

I was tired of the stress, lack of respect for my time after hours, really lack of respect in general! When I left the district, I was making what a 7th year teacher made, even though it was year 14, because of so many salary freezes over the years. In fact, a brand new teacher would have made more than me, but they wouldn't bump everyone else up.

They've got to do something, or I feel like the public school system is going to collapse!
tatapatch is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Interesting article on this topicÖ
Old 08-17-2022, 09:17 AM

https://www.njspotlightnews.org/2022...s-retirements/
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote