Do people in your city/town/village hate Californians? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do people in your city/town/village hate Californians?

>

Hifiman

Do people in your city/town/village hate Californians?
Old 07-29-2022, 11:01 AM

We were sitting at a table with people from around the country. When we mention California lots of people spoke up about having lived here, etc. and what they enjoyed about it. And then people took delight in sharing how Californians are either making their lives miserable or more often how they are targeted. In a few cases people shared stories how the cops love to single out California plates and brag about it.

What is so awful about Californians? Do people in your area single us out? Maybe it's other states?

For the record I see nothing wrong with people of California. Well, except for the hippies of the north. But they're hippies.

Then again the beach people are strange crowd too. I think the salt air does something harmful biologically, so ignore them too.

And along the same lines ignore the people who choose to live in the mountains here. Seriously, who would live where there's snow and nature?

Other than that the people are great...as long as they're not on driving the freeways...or at 4-way stops.

Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 07-29-2022, 11:06 AM

I love CA! My son lives in Pismo Beach and I loved San Diego/La Jolla when we visited there! Everyone was so friendly!

I would love to live by the beach or the mountains of CA. Not inland, though...

However, I will say that in CO, Californians do get a "bad name". Not sure why, as they aren't the ONLY people moving to CO! I think people just like to have some group of people to 'hate'/place blame on for whatever ails exist in this world. In CO, it tends to be Californians, which is too bad.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

California
Old 07-29-2022, 11:08 AM

I do not about California hate too much, if at all in Iowa. We may be too far away.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

Colorado!
Old 07-29-2022, 11:12 AM

Several people who were speaking up were from Colorado.

amiga13

Old 07-29-2022, 11:23 AM

California is criticized a great deal. It was even criticized by our last President. DH and I were always happy to hear the criticism because we figured the naysayers would live elsewhere and leave more California for us.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 07-29-2022, 11:41 AM

I've never heard anyone say anything negative about California. I actually LOVE the San Diego area. The weather is the most perfect weather.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 07-29-2022, 11:55 AM

Some Wisconsinites think Californians are too superficial and conservatives think they're too liberal, but they like Californians better than they like FIBs (effin' Illinois b***ards).

However, I've spent a fair amount of time in Colorado and it's true: Coloradans tend to dislike Californians just as much as Wisconsinites tend to dislike FIBs.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-29-2022, 12:00 PM

I think every state has those who will find fault!

Iíll share a happy CA story! We have a summer college baseball team in our town. Last night at the game I was talking to a woman who hosts players for the season. She had a player from CA and she says he is just the nicest guy!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-29-2022, 12:30 PM

Iím a Californian living in Oregon. People donít like Californians moving in because weíve historically been coming from a place where housing is higher priced, which means we have had money to burn on housing in that area, which means home prices rise quickly and locals get priced out. I think Colorado and Idaho have experienced similar patterns.

We (as a group, not necessarily every individual) also tend to want to change the local area to have the things weíre used to. Locals donít like their familiar/beloved region & traditions being ďCalifornia-ized.Ē

Californians tend to want their culture in a new environment rather than integrating into the existing culture.

But also, I think itís a bit of a meme here at this point. Not appreciating California transplants started for legitimate reasons, and now itís just the thing to do.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 07-29-2022, 12:30 PM

Growing up in Southern Oregon people used to complain about people moving up from California and driving up housing prices. That said, most of the people who were complaining moved up from California!

MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 07-29-2022, 12:47 PM

I moved from the Bay Area to Seattle 41 years ago and even then there was an anti-California vibe. A lot of it had to do (as previous posters mentioned) with Californians driving up real estate prices and also just the sheer number of people moving in bringing more traffic. Seattlites had a pretty snobby attitude toward people from CaliforniaóI could see it in their eyes when I mentioned where I moved from
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-29-2022, 01:00 PM

I've traveled quite a bit throughout the country and rarely encounter California hate but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In traveling Europe my kids have mentioned misconceptions and outright hate of Americans but again the majority of their travels have been enjoyable as they met so many friendly people. I don't understand the tendency to hate on people because of where they are from.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-29-2022, 01:05 PM

Mostly I hear complaints about New Yorkers! (There are lots of them moving down here)
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Oh boy,
Old 07-29-2022, 01:05 PM

that's a can o' worms here in AZ, Hifi!
I hear lots of snide remarks about Californians driving up real estate prices here. I once commented that the money spends very well.
I think half of AZ goes to San Diego -Mission Beach- every summer. We got nicknamed Zonies.
Back in the '70's and '80s, we had loads of Californians going to college here because our tuition was reasonable. I met many when I went to school at Northern Arizona University and a few have remained very close!
I've seen worse drivers here!
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-29-2022, 02:42 PM

Kentucky here. California is way too far away for most people to ever think about it. Sometimes people go to Disneyland. I know a couple of people who moved to San Francisco. They might as well live on Mars. We never see them anymore.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Funnystory

Old 07-29-2022, 04:24 PM

Yes in Texas I constantly hear trash talking of Californians.

Mostly Californians are the blame for … influx of bicycle riders in the middle of “our d#$& roads” , the reason why property taxes and real estate are going up - “all those d$&* people from California buying up everything.
Funnystory is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-29-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
in Texas I constantly hear trash talking of Californians.
Funnystory: some Californians feel the same about you.
Attachment

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-29-2022, 04:59 PM

In Colorado front range the complaints were about Californians. In south west Colorado, we dislike Texans. Same reasons.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-29-2022, 05:00 PM

I think Iím too far from California for this to be a thing here (Florida).

I was out of town last week and chatting with somebody who currently lives in South Carolina. She is former military and has lived in many places but she said that no matter what she hasnít found anywhere that even comes close to comparing to San Diego.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

Old 07-29-2022, 05:05 PM

Thatís really funny, Amiga.

tia

Old 07-29-2022, 05:10 PM

ugh...sadly, yes--a lot of people in Idaho (or at least the capital of Boise) like to blame all new bad "stuff" on all the people moving from California. it's gotten so bad that on Next Door, when someone complains about something, someone joking suggests it must be all the transplants.

People refer to all the liberals coming from California, but ACTUALLY, there are many Republicans coming to our extremely Red state!

i thought i would come back to this thread and answer later, but I saw this article on our local news site and found it funny and came back to share. https://www.ktvb.com/article/enterta...f-b9b683cce3be

OF COURSE, California is Slytherin!

*My family came to Idaho from California (Bay Area) in 1980.*
Attachment

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-29-2022, 06:28 PM

Itís jealousy
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Hifiman
Old 07-29-2022, 07:37 PM

Yes in my neck of the woods there have been many that have packed up and moved out of Calif. We only had 4 elementary schools on our mountain to begin with and now we have 2. The folks from the larger cities in CA are flocking here replacing the traditional families. Most are newly retired and feel they have died and gone to heaven until they find out they need wrap around fire insurance , 4 x 4's , excessive traveling up and down the mountain etc. Many up here had their own mom and pop business and as you know CA is most certainly not friendly to small businesses.

More and more continue to move away. Even though I was born and raised here I most likely will fully retire in a state more economically friendly to retirees.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-29-2022, 07:49 PM

Yes, for all the reasons Gromit described. That has been a common theme in the last two states I've lived in. When I lived in the midwest, though, I didn't really hear anything about Californians.

I think every state has its negative reputation in some other states.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Here's a migration map.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:54 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_xf...nnel=NBCSports
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-29-2022, 08:11 PM

luvtolearn- that was really interesting (looked like a bunch of fleas heading to an overripe banana )

Where were all the Californians heading to Hawai'i? I know there are many. Not enough to get on this map?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 07-29-2022, 08:56 PM

Iím a happy Californian. Iíve heard snide remarks about California from people in Tennessee and Oklahoma.
MissTrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-30-2022, 12:20 AM

Coming back in with a California people memory. I did the colonial Williamsburg teacher institute in 2019. There was a group of teachers from the Los Angeles area. We ate breakfast with them several mornings during our week there.

They said they really enjoyed our accents. (Rural Eastern Kentucky) They also loved all the cardinals that were plentiful in the resort. They also asked how we functioned in the humidity. We did assure them that it wasnít always that bad. One day it was 99į with humidity around 85%. The ďfeels likeĒ temperature was something crazy like 116į. Thatís like Satanís @sscrack hot.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 07-30-2022, 03:50 AM

Yes I'm in Texas in the Dallas area and it's a thing here. Mostly because of how our real estate market has gone crazy. People blame it on all the people moving here from places (California) where the housing prices were already through the roof. Basically cash buyers from other places kept people here from being able to win a bid on a house. Our housing prices HAVE gone insane and our salaries have not risen so it is horrible. I do not blame it all on Californians though. Houses have doubled in price in the last 3 years and salaries are stagnant.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-30-2022, 05:05 AM

I never talk to strangers these days to ever know, so I'll speak for myself.

I've lived in (southern) CA my entire life and one day, I may move to another state...after my Mom's passed away. I see nothing wrong with the people specifically. They're the only type of people I know since I've lived here my whole life. It's just a high COL state, which is why I'd move someday.

Never knew about the cops singling out CA plates thing.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

others
Old 07-30-2022, 05:57 AM

When I lived in Washington, yes. It made me laugh. All the natives could see were some people from "that crazy state" coming up here and changing laws away from the way they always had it to new ways.

Now that I live in Maine, it's people from Massachusetts. They have a very rank term for them, which, again, makes me laugh.

But for the most part, it's tourists that aggravate them. People up here know they need them, but sometimes it's very private love/hate relationship. On the surface Mainers are all smiles. But on the inside....it's "learn to drive".
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Funnystory

Old 07-30-2022, 06:33 AM

Funny Amiga. Yes there are definitely areas we should only get 1 star!
Funnystory is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-30-2022, 06:46 AM

I don't get the "mad at Californians for driving up home prices" thing. Isn't the Texas home owner and the Texas realtor setting the price? We moved to a Northern California area and it took awhile to find a sensible deal on a home. Far too many homes were overpriced because realtors gave the owners a projected value that was ridiculously too high. Greed drives the prices.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-30-2022, 03:17 PM

I live in PA and never hear complaints against CA. When my family my uncle and cousins in the San Diego area we had a lovely time everyone was friendly. We drove from San Diego to San Francisco. Had a great time there too.

I will say the only thing I think about now a days is having Gavin Newsome run for President in 2024.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-30-2022, 08:50 PM

Can confirm people in CO do not seem to like CA. Or Texas! Those two are the only states I hear mentioned by name. In the most recent couple of years, it seems to have morphed into more complaints about "transplants" in general, although I believe the idea is that too many/most are coming from CA and TX. When I point out I'm a transplant, people say no I'm not because I've been here long enough .

I will say, I have lived here long enough to sometimes grumble about it myself . When I started working at my current district 10 years ago, my commute was about 15-20 minutes. 6-7 years later, the area became so much more built up/traffic got so much worse that it was regularly 45-60 minutes in the afternoon. I moved much closer and am now back to about 15 minutes. Hope that doesn't change!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote